Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How much faster really? - 4 half triangles from one square?

Blog Entries
    I recently came across the "time-saving" hint for making triangle pairs.

Take two larger (let's say 5") squares, contrasting colors.

Place them right sides together (or as one youtube instructor says: "pretty sides together").

Sew 1/4" all the way around all four sides.

Then cut diagonally from corner to corner twice. Open up to right/pretty sides out. Result: 4 half-triangle squares.

Sounds like a great idea. I just tested it out and found that I spent more time squaring the resulting squares. So I'm not sure I'm saving any time.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm always for time-savers, unless they require more time! ;-)

Thanks.

-- Jillaine

This can be a quick way if you cut and sew accuratly but it also give you bias edges. These can be difficult to deal with. There are other ways to do quick and accurate HST that don't end up with bias edges.

i don't care for this method because it puts the bias edge on the outside giving that area a lot of stretch.

the traditional method doesn't have bias edges

http://www.psiquilt.com/2010/02/half...-tutorial.html

Blog Entries
    If I have a lot of hst to do, I still prefer to use the Wondercut Ruler.

Blog Entries
    Looks like the wondercut ruler ends up with bias outsides as well. Okay, just tried the HST tutorial and it works; she doesn't make it clear about the initial size of the squares though. I have to make sure that part is correct.

(I still wish there was a faster way... i have a lot to make...) ;-)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    If I have a lot of hst to do, I still prefer to use the Wondercut Ruler.
    Although I don't have the Wonder Cut Ruler I do use the wonder cut ruler method from time to time just depending on my mood. I also use the method posted in the link above.

I haven't tried the four at a time method however a tip is to use a TON of starch prior to cutting your fabric. spray press, spray press, and even if you so choose you can spray and press again or you could just do like I do and spray them till they are soaked let them dry till damp and then press! This will help a TON when working with bias edges!

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Looks like the wondercut ruler ends up with bias outsides as well. Okay, just tried the HST tutorial and it works; she doesn't make it clear about the initial size of the squares though. I have to make sure that part is correct.

Thanks!
    If your talking about the HST tutorial where you use two sqaures to make two triangles and you draw a line down the center and then sew on either side of it. You add 7/8 of an inch to your FINISHED size of your HST. So if you want a 5 inch HST cut your squares 5 7/8" or 6 inch squares and trim. 4 inch finished HST 4 7/8" or 5" and trim the extra 1/8 inch off when done!

Even with the Wondercut ruler the bias is cut before you sew. For me it's slower than the method jillaine describes, with the same results. I like the method where you put two squares together and sew 1/4" in each side of the diagonal because your bias edge is stable before it's cut. It's better to use a walking foot to be sure the sewing process does not stretch the bias. However, if you use enough starch before you cut by any method, it helps stabilize the fabric.

I also don't like doing them this way, but here's a quicker method than doing them individually. I hope this helps. I also starch liberally.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i don't care for this method because it puts the bias edge on the outside giving that area a lot of stretch.
    Same here. Bias is not my friend.

I use the Nifty Notion rulers, and they have a HST that's SUPER easy and quilt, and cut from a strip of fabric.

It's really easy and you save a bunch of fabric. Here's an online tutorial I found. http://emsscrapbag.blogspot.com/2008...y-notions.html

I just started quilting and this is the only rulers my LQS stock, so I was surprised when I was shown the traditional way...much more complicated IMHO. :)

Why don't you use Rhonda method she is on the board here. I used it and it was easy and everything fit and turned out perfect. Look it up and give it a try.

Blog Entries
    That is why it is nice that there are so many methods available. I like the Wondercut because it is faster than the others and if I am making a quilt with a zillion hst's I don't want to do each square one at a time.

Lynn Roddy Brown has a method for making HSTs that is quick and easy. She uses the Quilt In A Day Triangle Square Up Ruler. I like that ruler because you square the block up before you press it open.

I also have the June Tailor Perfect QST and HST ruler. I like it for drawing and cutting the center line, but I don't use it for squareing them up.

Blog Entries
    I don't like bias edges either. I think those would take me longer in the long run having to be all careful with the edges. I just got the triangulations cd so I'm going to use that the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiemae
    Why don't you use Rhonda method she is on the board here. I used it and it was easy and everything fit and turned out perfect. Look it up and give it a try.
    Rhonda's method has bias edges also. You could try this method for 8 HST at a time. There are no bias edges when you do them this way, and no special tools to buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That's similar to the grid method (in which I always have to square up so I make them bigger and then trim to size).

Blog Entries
    I made a lone star using all hst's and I just don't remember any problems with the bias edges, I will watch on my next one and see.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE this board. Thank you everyone! What a great collection of tips!

Junior Member Kathi Kraftyzales's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wondered what the down side was to this easy method.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Kraftyzales

I wondered what the down side was to this easy method.
    I think that fabric_fancy was referring to the method in the first post and the link that she gave, for the psiquilt, is the more traditional method which does not leave bias edges unsewn---they are sewn before they are cut.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar

Thanks!
    Not sure if you have a longarm machine, or a friend that can line these up for you..... but I did a TON of HST's in just minutes on my longarm:

http://www.candyapplequilts.com/appl...at-moms-quilt/

I recently came across the "time-saving" hint for making triangle pairs.

Take two larger (let's say 5") squares, contrasting colors.

Place them right sides together (or as one youtube instructor says: "pretty sides together").

Sew 1/4" all the way around all four sides.

Then cut diagonally from corner to corner twice. Open up to right/pretty sides out. Result: 4 half-triangle squares.

Sounds like a great idea. I just tested it out and found that I spent more time squaring the resulting squares. So I'm not sure I'm saving any time.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm always for time-savers, unless they require more time! ;-)

Thanks.

-- Jillaine
    I made a pinwheel lap robe using that technique and it worked great for me. I'm wondering if it's because I starch my fabric heavily before cutting the squares first.

I am trying that technique now, making a backing from large HST. It will be the broken dishes style....and yes, the bias edges are already giving me grief when I press them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast