Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much quilting needed for duvet cover? >

How much quilting needed for duvet cover?

How much quilting needed for duvet cover?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Default How much quilting needed for duvet cover?

I need advice. I am making a duvet cover for a comforter. I have finished piecing the top, and sandwiched with Kona solid for lining. (no batting) I need to quilt the sandwich to keep it together, and I assume to secure the block seams. How much quilting is necessary? Would you quilt it the same amount as you would a quilt? Or can I get by with SID along the sashings? It won't be washed very much, but I also don't want unraveling seams. Thanks for your advice.

If you are interested, I used left over fabric to make a rainbow strip "quilt" for the back of the duvet cover, and just did a wavy stitch across each seam. I plan to sew the two "quilts" together, and either make a button closing, or Velcro for the closure. Just kind of winging it. Hope it turns out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]615355[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3723.jpg  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Since quilting requirements are based on the batting being used - too keep it from separating and migrating and you are not using batting you can do any amount you want. You only need to do enough to keep it from ( ballooning) and causing it to become wonky. So, just doing the sashing should be fine
Old 07-28-2019, 11:48 AM

That is just beautiful, I am confused though I always thought that duvets were used as a cover up of a comforter or quilt? Because it is a cover it would get washed frequently as necessary so why would you make your beautiful quilt a duvet cover? Perhaps I am just not understanding so I hope you don’t mind clarifying?
Old 07-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Your cover is gorgeous! Love the design and fabric colors you used. Of course, kitty is a show stealer too. Are these fabrics going to shrink differently? That might mean closer stitching.

Maria,

I use the covers without stuffing them. They are on the bed and used like a cover-let.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 PM

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the pattern fabric and colors!
Old 07-28-2019, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Incase it would need to be washed in the future I for sure would quilt the two quilts together. You can do what you want as it is yours.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:31 AM

The cat says "You're not getting this out from under me!"
Old 07-29-2019, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

That is lovely! I was under the impression that duvets don't have batting, hence no quilting. But maybe I'm wrong/
Old 07-29-2019, 07:01 AM

In response to the questions about the duvet cover: I have an old comforter that I want to repurpose. The fabric and color no longer work. (It was originally for my young daughter's twin bed.) As it is a high quality comforter, I thought I could sew a quilt top, and make it into a cover for the old comforter. I make so many more quilts than I can use, I thought I would make something that would have a specific use, and still get all the fun of making a quilt top. So, I pieced the quilt top in the picture above and lined it with Kona solid white fabric. This will be the top of the "sack". I had left over fabric that I made into a simple strip quilt for the bottom of the "sack". It is also lined with Kona solid, and I quilted the strips on the seams to hold back quilt to the solid "lining". (So I wasn't worried about the seams or amount of quilting on the back). I need some sort of quilting to hold the Kona 'lining' to the quilt top. I will sew the two sections together to make a lined sack. Then I will put the old comforter in the sack. I need to determine how to finish the closure. I plan to do buttons, but may end up with Velcro or ties. It will be mostly decorative on a guest twin bed in my sewing room so it will seldom actually be used. I hope that answered the questions. My concern was how much quilting would be needed to secure the pieced top. Is quilting's purpose only to keep batting from shifting? Or to better secure the pieced block seams? Sorry my original question didn't make sense.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 AM

in this case the old quilt becomes the batting. The quilting needed is to stabilize the batt is very little but yes you need to secure the pieced seams. Without quilting you would have to much pull on seams.If don's want to quilt thru so much you could quilt it to an inside back layer. Existing Kona white, quilt, extra layer for inside back (to quilt to) new front. Then all you would have to do to put layers together is tack it maybe every 12 to 15 inches.If not tacked or quilted thru all it becomes a duvet which works to.