Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much we spend on our hobby >

How much we spend on our hobby

How much we spend on our hobby

Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM

I have a long way to go before I catch up to his 3 motorcycles and 2 antique cars plus all his electronics!!! I don't feel one bit guilty spending money on fabric and I share alot with other quilting family members.

PS: He doesn't ever give me a hard time either, he knows I shop carefully!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 PM

This is another reason that stores--WalMart--that have done away with their fabric departments have made a bad decision. Somehow they don't get the economics of it! froggyintexas
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I really find that hard to believe. I'm not sure what greens fees are now even on public courses, but when I was playing 20 years ago it was expensive. I also know how much golf clubs, golf ball, boats, fishing poles and reels, shotguns and rifles, cartridges, etc, etc, etc. for all the other hobbies our sons, husbands, SILs, GSs, all put into their hobbies. Then you add on the cabin and lodge fees, food, gasoline, special trailers, it goes on and on. I would have to see their figures in black and white. I bet a man wrote that article!
One of those who has all that= bunches of quilters!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by pippa
Got the latest Quiltmania mag. today. In it there is an article on the Houston International Quilt festival which quotes from the 2010 Quilting in America survey and says that there are 21.3 million Americans "playing with bits of fabric" and that in 2009 they spent 3600 million dollars on fabrics, books, sewing machines and notions!

Here comes the stinger: "This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
Pippa
Ought to send that to Walmart and tell them we want our fabric departments back!!! Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I know for a fact that my husband spends way more on golfing than I spend on quilting.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Wow, really? Bullets cost WAY more than fabric....we just must buy way more!!!!
Fabric never has been used as a weapon of war, so I say, spend on!!!!
Is it even possible, to stage a conflict, with everyone wearing quilts? (Maybe at a really good sale....)
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mjwaggoner040
Originally Posted by pippa
Got the latest Quiltmania mag. today. In it there is an article on the Houston International Quilt festival which quotes from the 2010 Quilting in America survey and says that there are 21.3 million Americans "playing with bits of fabric" and that in 2009 they spent 3600 million dollars on fabrics, books, sewing machines and notions!

Here comes the stinger: "This is much, much more than their golfing, hunting and fishing partners spend put together"

I always thought that his hobby (photography/vintage cameras) was more expensive than mine. I will have to find another justification LOL
Pippa
When you calculate it out though it is 169 per person per year--that's less than 15 dollars per month so it really is not that much when you consider how much joy you get making and giving these gifts of love.
Granted, I spend more than $170 a year now, but I could sew for many years without buying more----I love quilting and love the gifts I can give to others! How do you put a price on that?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM

someone should tell Walmart!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
HIDE that magazine! The traitors, putting information like that in print! LOL
You said it. lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 AM

my dh has 26 motorcycles in various stages--4 competition motorcycles and a Harley---I think he won!!!---plus he plays table tennis and the paddles are very expensive---ps he's 75 and still competing and winning---at motorcycle trials--and table tennis