Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How not to make a template

Unhappy How not to make a template

I wanted to make a template using a heavy plastic (Plexiglas type material). I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of plastic. The pattern appeared in a book, so I though I might be able to print it using an old t-shirt transfer. Print the pattern on the t-shirt transfer and then iron it onto the plastic. Enough to say, the plastic didn't pick up any of the transfer but did buckle.

I did it out in the garage with the door open to prevent fumes. And used parchment paper to protect my iron. Perhaps my only good ideas.
    Deb
    (If you are going to be a bear, you may as well be a grizzly.)

Blog Entries
    well , you can get some Mylar plastic. Not as hard as Plexiglas type. trace your design and cut it out. it is heat resistant and makes good templates. good luck!!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I've used the cheap, plastic binders, to make templates. You can see through the lighter colors, and simply trace the design, with a Sharpie. The binders are pretty cheap and when they go on sale, you can't beat them! I also like that they're in colors, which make the templates easier to find.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Ah, we live and learn. Some of my brilliant ideas have failed! One never knows until we try. Lesson learned. Thanks for the helpful info on what not to do!

Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion for Nessie & others that may use the binders for templates, I find LOT'S of binders at thrift shops for pennies. Never know what you will find to use for quilting & sewing in the thrift stores
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I miss my days as a draftsmen with a CAD system. always had perfect designs, agree. the thin Mylar purchased at the large fabric store.. maybe not allowed to tell where is best.. altho.. I have used plastic from lids.. with residue gone.. think what our 1900's little ladies had.. Repetition I use card stock and run it through the Xerox machine.
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

I remember when I first started quilting I made templates out of sand paper. They clung to the fabric nicely. Now I use Mylar.