Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you change needles? >

How often do you change needles?

How often do you change needles?

Old 11-24-2020, 09:02 AM

I change needles a lot. Definitely after every top. It is a ritual I do when beginning a new project. Sometimes while I'm still working. If something is just not going well (especially if things were going well before), I'll replace the needle and even a new needle can have a flaw. I typically use a pretty small stitch and prefer about a 10 to piece with, but some fabrics/projects work better with a 12. I usually use 14 to quilt with, but again some projects want larger and I've had crib quilts very happy with a 12. I usually use a Universal needle but I really like the Microtex Sharps for fine weaves like batiks. Sometimes I use different points for my quilting, I should maybe start looking at some of those but currently have no options other than Universal.

Needles are comparatively cheap, especially if you buy on sale/in bulk. If you are making an Amazon or whatever order anyway, before you complete the deal check on what your favorites are available so you know what a good price is when you see it. But look at it this way, even if you are paying $1 a needle, is that worth ruining $100 worth of fabric? Or making you frustrated/working harder than needed for hours?

As mentioned by others, when you can hear your machine going "pooka pooka" that means your needle is beyond dull and should have been replaced a long time ago. A sharp needles slips cleverly between the threads of the cloth to essentially weave a new cloth. A dull needle punches holes in the fabric and that is what you are hearing.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:28 PM

Not nearly enough. After about 3 quilts.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
I change after every quilt, religiously. I also take a permanent marker and mark the top of the needle so that way I can keep track of my needles and if I need to make a fast repair on something, I know to grab the needles that are marked instead of a new one. The needle may not be sharp enough for my needs when I'm quilting, but it's still plenty sharp enough for a fast repair or another project that's not as big as a quilt. After a quilt, though, I'm breaking down my machine to clean and oil it, so it makes sense to me to put in a new needle then.

I'm also one that will take a second and dust out underneath the throat plate and around the race when I'm changing out bobbins. Although here lately, I have to stop what I'm doing about midway through a bobbin to clean everything out, the fuzz that's been collecting has been much more than usual. Not sure what's up with that
Have you changed your thread brand recently? I got a lot more lint when I was using cheaper thread (ahem Coats and Clark...I know, I know. That brand used to be good but they aren't anymore - I didn't know that until recently. Le sigh). I was pricing higher end threads (Aurifil and Mettler) and found some really good, affordable thread sets at Connecting Threads. Decided to take the plunge and get them, figuring they'd be ok for sewing other things if they didn't work for quilting. Not to mention they have a ton of different colors. I found I don't get nearly as much fuzz and have fewer problems with my machine and they're fine for quilting.

I use Aurifil and Mettler for really important quilts and the Connecting Threads thread for everything else now. Just wait for a sale to get another color set.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:00 PM

I change needles after every project if it's a big one. If I'm just sewing something small, I'll keep using the same one.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Have you changed your thread brand recently? I got a lot more lint when I was using cheaper thread (ahem Coats and Clark...I know, I know. That brand used to be good but they aren't anymore - I didn't know that until recently. Le sigh). I was pricing higher end threads (Aurifil and Mettler) and found some really good, affordable thread sets at Connecting Threads. Decided to take the plunge and get them, figuring they'd be ok for sewing other things if they didn't work for quilting. Not to mention they have a ton of different colors. I found I don't get nearly as much fuzz and have fewer problems with my machine and they're fine for quilting.

I use Aurifil and Mettler for really important quilts and the Connecting Threads thread for everything else now. Just wait for a sale to get another color set.
I use Aurifil as well, but when I was sewing up the last of the sleeves I'm making for all my rulers and templates sets, I did start hearing the 'pop' and after looking through a few things, I realized I hadn't changed my needle out, I was using the same one I used for my niece's quilt. I'm also at the very, very end of my spool, so this morning (after my coffee), I'm going to clean everything up again, change the needle and then put the rest of that spool into bobbins and start with a fresh spool. I'm starting on a Dresden project today, might as well start fresh with everything, lol.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 AM

Not nearly as often as I probably should. , . .when I'm having tension problems that aren't resolved by rethreading the needle; when the needle breaks or bends; when the needle makes strange noises.