Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you service >

How often do you service

How often do you service

Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 AM

Default How often do you service

The machine I have been using here lately in my 1984 Janome and it seems it just went out on me after winding a bobbin the bobbin winder just didn't stop spinning when the bobbin was wound and is very loud. Into the shop it will go. I just hope parts are available for this machine. However this is not the question.
I was wondering how often a machine should go in for a general check up? I don't consider this machine vintage but she is a bit older. The machine has always worked well. If I am to get another newer machine I would most likely stay with a Janome as I have been very pleased. What is the normal servicing a working machine? I take my car in once a year for service should I be taking the machines in for regular service?
Old 10-02-2020, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Good question -

Machines that are used a lot will wear out -

Machines that are never used get cranky when left to languish -

Old 10-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I wait untilI have a problem before taking in my Bernina. It is going to cost me to get it cleaned so I have the cleaning and repair done at the same time. I do regular bobbin cleaning and oiling on my own.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

I can manage the vintage ones myself. My other main machine is a Brother PQ1500 which is mostly mechanical except for the up/down button and thread cutter. I am managing that one too so far. Oiling and cleaning seems to be enough for now. I have a Brother electronic one - inexpensive about 10 years old. I don’t do anything to that one and it hasn’t had an issue.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM

well...the manufacturer has some recommendations. On my vikings....regular cleaning of the bobbin area is needed....but there is no requirement for my oiling anything....but...the viking tech said that there are places internally that do need oiling periodically and if I take the cover off, I void the warranty. So the recommendation is once per year. And embroidery units also have places that need oil periodically which is done by a dealer. My APQS long arm has a few places I oil and the manual and website have information on more maintenance I can do by myself including repacking with grease....so generally, I try and run each of my machines at least every 6 months and to take them in every year or two for servicing. The newest and most expensive...I really try and get them in once a year....the older ones....well, it is getting to the place where the cleaning and servicing might cost more than the machine is worth.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

With mine ( Viking a purchased in 2004) I take it in when I need to- - sounding a little rough, something not quite right—
things vary year to year. Some years I put a lot of miles on my machine and I take it in for a tune up, good cleaning, maintenance check up, other years life is busy in a different way & I don’t sew that much- I may go a couple years or more without taking it in. I always clean everything on it I can regularly and take care of it- I would like it to last my lifetime so I try to take good care of its needs.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Clean up & maintenance in our area is about $150.00 so I tend to take mine in only when there is a problem. Mine is computerized so it is usually a board has gone out. Usually costs 500 to 600 dollars by the time they are through. The manual recommended yearly. lol Never gonna happen.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Last time I took my machine in to be serviced it wound up costing more than I was quoted and it came back in the same condition as it went in. I try to be diligent with up keep always cleaning and oiling everything I’m supposed to regularly so I can avoid going in unless I absolutely cannot avoid it.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

The two straight stitch only machines I use most have never been in the shop for anything.

I keep them cleaned and oiled. Bought in 2008 and 2010. As long as they sew good I won't take them in.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 PM

I try to take my costly Elna in about every 15-18 months for maintenance. I sew about 12-16 hrs a week. I do clean it out regularly.