Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you sew? >

How often do you sew?

How often do you sew?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 PM

I work full time, and try to get a bit of sewing in every day even if its just a 1/2 hour. When I tell my self its just a half hour or the length of a 1/2 show on TV... I find I go at least an hour , because now I got "involved". But there are some days I just know that I need to get to bed and don't start sewing, because the time just goes and it will be late before I get to sleep.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM

I do most of my sewing while I am on vacation.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tyoung View Post
Not as often as I would like. I sew maybe a couple of hours a month.
me too usually once to twice a month for a few hours unless I am making a gift
Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 AM

I work full time. Some days I sew after working all day and some days I just don't feel like it. If I sew at night I don't force myself to finish something or to hurry because I make a lot of mistakes when I'm tired and I hurry. Recently I moved my sewing room into the living room so I can watch TV while I sew and I seem to get more done now. I love to sew on Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I sew all weekend long just taking breaks to eat and take the dog out.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 AM

I work full time and it is usually a 9 and a half hour day. Most evenings I am too tired to sew. I sew weekends if nothing else conflicts. I hope to do more after I retire.

On weekends I am most productive mid mornings. I need an hour to really wake up then I can get going.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM

I work three twelve hour shift per week. That leaves four days a week I have free except for the usual chores, housework and laundry. I am not a speedy quilter. I am new to quilting and so I find that I have plenty of time during the week to sew. Also, my husband is a workaholic and is on call twentyfour hours per day seven days per week as a fire chief so that also frees up some time for me.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:30 AM

I get to sew a lot now that I am retired. When I was teaching, not so much. Lesson plans and grading papers seem to swallow up all your time. My favorite time to sew is mid morning to late afternoon. Mornings I like to sit on the porch with my husband and read the iPad. I don't sew as much as I thought I would now that I am I retired. Life seems to take over.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 AM

I'm retired too and don't sew as much as I thought I would. Sometimes I'll go in there for days at a time trying to finish up something. But sometimes it will be weeks without sewing. I'd like to be more disciplined about it.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
When I was working sewing was my sanity -- I sewed as often as I could, many times to the detriment of the house and meals. I still don't get to sew as much as I would like -- it's funny how the time fills up with other things now that I'm retired!
This is so true. For thirty three years I "planned" all I was going to do with my free time. HaHa. The only thing different with working and being retired is, at least when I worked, I had a set routine. As far as sewing goes. I sew every chance I get. For the last eight months I've been working on a chevron quilt and I can finally see the end of the tunnel. But I've done things in between. I do try to work at the machine every week -- sometimes a little bit daily. I do better when I'm cutting and piecing. Basting the sandwich is a real chore for me and lingers.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:05 AM

It really depends, I kind of go in fits and spurts. It partially depends on if I am working on something that really excites me (or has a deadline) or if I'm just kind of puttering around. I work full time so I don't always sew on work days, but I do sew pretty much every weekend. We don't have kids and my DH is a TV-aholic so when he's glued to the 'boob tube' I usually end up wandering into the sewing room (which is adjacent to his TV room, so it's sort of social, LOL).

I also have sleeping issues and I work very early so some days I'm just too tired after work and nap instead...other times I'll wake up at 2AM on a weekend and sew for around 20 hours straight (minus meal and bathroom breaks) before I feel tired again. So I'm all over the place with my sewing "schedule".