Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Often Do You >

How Often Do You

How Often Do You

Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Default How Often Do You

For those that have quilts stored how often do you wash them? I store mine in a spare bedroom on the bed, the door remains shut so the cats don’t go in there. But now I'm thinking its been about a year and maybe its time to wash them even though they have not been used.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:14 AM

I put mine in the dryer on just air they have not been used either
Old 11-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I put mine in the dryer on just air they have not been used either
if they are stored on the bed I would think this is sufficient. Just to knock the dust out of them.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:49 PM

I bring my quilts out in the Summer and air them all out. In use quilts get washed. Stored quilts get only aired out and then stored away again. I don't see a need to wash if they are stored in a dark area.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Mine are stored in a linen closet. I never thought to wash them. Although my Dear Grandmother's, Grandmother's Flower Garden did get dirty after 20+ yrs, go figure.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Good question, Lisa.
I say about once a year, depending on where they are.
Mine are mostly not stored away and because of my cats I like to wash. But air drying in the dryer is a good idea too.
I have my heirloom quilts in a quilt curio chest. They are special quilts I bought: I didn't make them. I air them out occasionally on my clothesline.
My holiday quilts get washed and stored away after the new year. You just reminded me to get them out!
Old 11-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I launder a quilt at completion- final step after binding- after that my quilts only get laundered when it’s needed- if something get on them, or if they’ve been out/ used and I’m going to store them. I launder before putting away. ( folded and stored in a pillow case in my trunk ) when I take them out to use I just air them before putting on the bed. So, used quilts usually get laundered once a year- when I’m switching them - non used quilts don’t need laundering.( I have our summer quilt, fall and winter- so they get switched out with the season, laundered and put away. )
Old 11-28-2020, 04:55 PM

I'm not a big washer of quilts--especially if not used frequently (not including table toppers). Lap quilts and our bed quilts get washed about 1-2x per year, otherwise just shook out. Quilts that get little use are in an extra bedroom and I cover them on the quilt ladder with a sheet to keep any dust off. I'd add that we don't let dogs into the bedrooms or onto the furniture.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

My stored quilts do not get washed.

The ones I use on the bed are switched out every so often. I launder those after every four uses, unless they look dirty. I always keep a top sheet between them and me. Washed too often wear fade and wear them out.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:08 AM

I keep mine in fabric tote that have a plastic zippered lid and I put a cedar block wrapped in white muslin in each one. That makes them smell nice. I take them out annually and refold them so the crease lines change. I don't do anything else with them unless they get used. I don't put them in the dryer and dare not take them outside to air. Can't even take my laundry outside to dry because of all the birds and what they like to drop on laundry (especially in mulberry season!)