Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How often

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texas granny
    I keep useing mine untill it doesn't cut well if there are a lot of missed threads say I will replace it or just turn it around. use that side for a while then change to a new blade.
    It all depend on how often you use your cutter and how many differnt ones you have.
    I agree. I always try changing the blade over to the other side. That seems to work for a small amount of time. Have never tried adding a drop of oil, but, will the next time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dls
    I use titanium blades and they last a very long time.
    I'm glad to hear that they last for a very long time. I have a titanium replacement in my knee and 3 titanium anchors in my shoulder and want them to last the rest of my life. :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a class I took last year, I learned a tip about making the blades less likely to develop nicks. After making a cut, I (and many other folks too) use the rotary cutter with blade exposed to push or slide the just cut piece away from the ruler. By sliding the blade along the surface of the cutting mat, this apparently causes the blade to nick. The class instructor advised that we never use the cutter to push a piece of fabric. Hope this makes sense. As far as changing blades, I usually wait until it's just not cutting smoothly or I end up with a spot or two where the blad did not cut thru both (or all) layers of the fabric.

The sharpener I had didn't seem to work real well.

I purchased a sharpener for the rotary blades and I cant say that I am too pleased with it. Either I am not using it right or the darn thing is no good. There are two kind. Mine is a twelve inch channel with emory or some such material in between two channels....My friend had a circular one that she likes.

When I put in a new blade and then run over a pin and nick it. Oh yes, I have done this. I save the old blades and put them into an old cutter and use on paper.
    Seriously, when I can't cut through 4 layers comfortably, that is when I replace. I've noticed since I now use the Martelli Ergo, I do not replace blades nearly as often, I think it has to do with the angle I use when cutting. With the straight cutters, I always seem to catch the blade on the ruler edge. I know I am weird. grin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Only when I have to and then wonder why I waited so long.
    LOL....I do the same thing!!!!

I resharpen mine too. I usually change them when start skipping. I seem to go thru quickly with paperpiecing, it dulls them a little quicker. When I purchase them it is usually when they are 40 or 50% off. But am so happy and Thanks you to the person that recommended the carpet Rotary blades. Mine came yesterday and they fit the Olfa Wonderfully.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGSD
    I resharpen mine too. I usually change them when start skipping. I seem to go thru quickly with paperpiecing, it dulls them a little quicker. When I purchase them it is usually when they are 40 or 50% off. But am so happy and Thanks you to the person that recommended the carpet Rotary blades. Mine came yesterday and they fit the Olfa Wonderfully.
    Judy
    Two things that are hard on rotary cutters, paper and polyester fleece and other synthetics. I try to remember to replace the blade if I have been cutting fleece. I use fleece for some of my quilt backings and find when I cut the cotton it makes a mess; skips, rolls the fabric along. Change often in that case.

When my blade becomes dull I sharpen it with a rotary sharpener. Love my sharpener. I have not purchased blades in at least 4 years, in fact it's probably longer then that since I am still using the ones that came with the cutter. I do a lot of cutting of batting and trimming quilts and have cut maybe 6 full to queen size tops out. The trick to using the sharpener is to always turn the sharpener clockwise as I'm sharpening the blade. (Trick my father always used when sharpening his knives, axes, etc.)

The little blue sharpener I bought did not work very well. My son even sharpened a few blades for me, then said this thing is a waste of money. Now I go to Harbpr Freight Tools and buy 100 in a box for 15.00. They are called "carpet cutter" replacement blades and fit my 45mm rotary cutter. (They do not fit the 65mm). Now I change blades more often and end up with less frustration over skips!

Blog Entries
    When my blade starts getting dull, I turn it over and add a drop of oil. A tip I read on this board. Also I clean the built up of lint brushed out. I had a sharpner and was not pleased with it. Even had DH sharpen the blades and was still not please. Has anyone ever set them out to be sharpen? I used to see ads for that service it the quilting mags.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    The little blue sharpener I bought did not work very well. My son even sharpened a few blades for me, then said this thing is a waste of money. Now I go to Harbpr Freight Tools and buy 100 in a box for 15.00. They are called "carpet cutter" replacement blades and fit my 45mm rotary cutter. (They do not fit the 65mm). Now I change blades more often and end up with less frustration over skips!
    Just watch Harbor Freight for quality. My husband used to buy a lot of his tools, etc. from them and found sometimes they weren't first quality. He got a bunch of screws and half of them weren't usable do to bad threading. I guess you get what you pay for.

My husband use to purchase tools from them too and the 2 he bought were sub-standard. However, these blades are not actually made by them, they just sell them. They can also be purchased at a local hardware store here in our town. Same blades. I have never had any trouble with them at all and I am about half way through the box!

Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    Have any of you used the sharpeners that are out there for the blades? Do they work?
    I ordered one from Nancy's Notions and I haven't had any luck sharpening blades.

When I have too, when I have trouble cutting. I clean my cutter every time I use it a lot and add a drop of oil. It helps.

Blog Entries
    I tried the little blue rotary sharpener too, and had no luck-didn't like it. I don't change blades as often as I should (like my machine needles!), usually waiting until the frustration from skipped threads takes over, then I grudgenly replace it. I have a gazillion "used" blades which I keep in empty blade plastic cases marked "USED", hoping someday I find a sharpener that works. I just buy several packs of 5 at Joann's when they are 50% off.

I have been sending my used blades to Lp Sharp for years, its cheaper. When they first opened for business they used to sharpen your old blades and send them back to you. Now you get a great discount on new blades. I'm not affiliated with them, just a very happy customer since 1992.

http://www.lpsharp.com/

Sharon W.

I change mine as they start leaving little skips in the cuts. And the best price on cutter blades is at Harbor Freight. They are actually sharper than the ones sharpened for quilting

I use mine until it doesn't seem to cut as well, and then I sharpen it. The sharpener helps it last a little longer, but doesn't make it as sharp as a new one. I still like it, though, because I think it saves money in the long run. And I used my 50% JoAnn's coupon to get it.

Exactly.

Ditto

I flip mine and use the other side.

When it won't cut through 2 pieces of fabric.

I just got a sharpener from Sewing With Nancy. I used it once. I donot know if I used it correctly because it did not go thru the sharpner very well. I also did not notice a better cut after I sharpened it.
    Linda

I drove a long distance today--went to 2 Harbor Freights in Nashville and neither one had the blades. I did find a carpet cutter with 3 blades in it for 3.19 so got it to try!
    Has anyone ordered from Harbor online???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast