Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How old is this....... >

How old is this.......

How old is this.......

Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM

I had a thought about the passing of the measuring machine - could it be that the invention of polyester made tearing the fabric impossible and it had to be cut by hand?

In the 70's I used so much of that fantastic no iron new stuff for sewing clothes for my 2 DD's and myself that they accused me of killing so many polyesters that I made them an endangered species.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by nannya54
Here is a picture ( I hope ) of the fabric. The middle one, purple, is the one with the price tag of 28 cents but the three of them have all the same texture. No smell, even while ironing them but they feel kind of stiff and grainy - not like cotton's today. Perhaps they starched them prior to bolting and selling?
I'm thinking the 'grainy part' might be, because the thread count isn't as high as most quilting fabric is today. That would make it seem more coarse, I'd think.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:30 PM

I too believe the fabric is from the fifties. I remember going to our Penney's store to buy fabric. I made my little girls dresses out of it and washed with a wringer washer. They held up well but had to be ironed but then again so did everything else. I still remember going with my friend when our Penney's stopped selling fabric. What a madhouse. There was bodily harm done.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM

[quote=NewYearsOld]
Originally Posted by illinois
--and do you remember there was a device mounted on the edge of the table that they simply pulled the fabric through it and it measured off the length? A dial would go around to indicate how much yardage had been pulled through. Then it would clip the appropriate spot for how much you requested and they tore the fabric instead of cutting it? Really quick way of measuring yardage![/quote

That does bring back memories. Those were so cool!

Does anyone remember buying fabric from So-fro Fabrics?
I loved SoFro fabrics and also NorthWest Fabrics. Sad that they have passed from existence.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Oh, my gosh! I remember those measuring machines!! In regards to tearing material - I was taught not to do that as it stressed the material, to always cut it . . .
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I bought fabric from Penny's when I started sewing in 1963. I can remember getting some fabric for .99 a yard.
I paid .98 a yard for some good percale to back a quilt, and my grandma told me I paid too much! (She was finishing the log cabin quilt I had chosen and I was to buy the backing for it. She didn't think the backing needed to be that fancy, but the color is as true today as the day I bought it.)
Old 04-13-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honey
I bought fabric from Penny's when I started sewing in 1963. I can remember getting some fabric for .99 a yard.
I was going to say early 60s. I can remember fabric for 49cents a yard. Most was 79 or 99 cents. I have a seam gauge I bought back then at Penny's. It has served me well for all those years. The new ones they make just don't come close to that quality.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

wished I could help you. Penny
Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 AM

My mother's family owned a "general merchandise" store in our small town. We bought EVERYTHING there. Only when we wanted something very special did we go to the next town to shop around. That store had everything you could imagine in it. There was a warehouse full of sacks of animal feed, flour, salt; tanks of kerosene, supplies for horses (those were used instead of the more modern tractors). There were dishes, ladies hats, men's work clothes (khakis and denims), shoes -- work shoes, dress shoes, kids shoes. And in the front of the store were bolts of fabric, patterns, thread and other notions, costume jewelry, small appliances - toasters, hand mixers, and, in later years, electric rice pots. We could also get all of our lingerie items there too. And the list goes on.

We bought all of our fabric there and when we went to church there may have been someone else dressed in the same fabric. A friend and I always tried to have at least one matching (of course, different colors of the same print) outfit every season. I still have pieces of some of that fabric (the store closed in '75). I don't remember the prices, though. The pattern line was Advance.

Our first sewing machine came from that store. The brand was Blue Grass. It was a sturdy machine that sewed "many miles." It resembled the old black Singers. It was a heavy machine in a cabinet.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 AM

[quote=chris_quilts]
Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
Originally Posted by illinois
--and do you remember there was a device mounted on the edge of the table that they simply pulled the fabric through it and it measured off the length? A dial would go around to indicate how much yardage had been pulled through. Then it would clip the appropriate spot for how much you requested and they tore the fabric instead of cutting it? Really quick way of measuring yardage![/quote

That does bring back memories. Those were so cool!

Does anyone remember buying fabric from So-fro Fabrics?
I loved SoFro fabrics and also NorthWest Fabrics. Sad that they have passed from existence.
Ooooh! I remember all those things and stores too. I thought Northwest Fabrics became Hancock Fabrics.