Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Old Is Vintage? >

How Old Is Vintage?

How Old Is Vintage?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 AM

Have you checked to see how old your machine is. A friend of mine has one just like this and her was made in 1938.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by HilaryK8 View Post
HAHAHAHA!!! This made me laugh! It's a beautiful machine. I don't have any vintage machines either but I am DEFINITELY keeping my eye out for that special one. I'm not looking to collect vintage machines but I would LOVE to have one this beautiful. So when you're ready to get rid of it... pm me! For now, you enjoy that beauty and learn as much as you can about it. You won't regret it.
once you get your first vintage machine, others will follow. i am not sure why that happens.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kelsunshine View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your help.
I think you all have convinced me to keep my machine for awhile longer
I'm glad to hear that you are keeping her. One thing I noticed is that she has the bullet bobbin which you don't find now days and also that you have the original knee control for her. I have seen a lot of old machines but finding one complete and in such wonderful condition, WOW! Enjoy her keep her oiled and sew on her to keep her happy.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
I'm glad to hear that you are keeping her. One thing I noticed is that she has the bullet bobbin which you don't find now days and also that you have the original knee control for her. I have seen a lot of old machines but finding one complete and in such wonderful condition, WOW! Enjoy her keep her oiled and sew on her to keep her happy.
i believe it is called a vibrating bobbin shuttle and you can still buy the parts for this type shuttle and the bobbins for it. and you can also find the knee lever which i just had to replace for my own 128. fortunately for me these parts are still available.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM

I also am happy that you have decided to keep her. If you weren't I was wondering just how far you were from me! I love the vintage machines in the bentwood cases. Mine are both 99's and one has the knee bar and the other one has a large metal foot petal. Is the 128 also a 3/4 size machine? I see that you have the attachments for her. Now oil her well and caress her with sewing machine oil and cotton balls to shine her up and let her know that she is going to stay. The machine oil will make her shine and isn't harmful to the beautiful decals on her. Now you need to sew with her and name her. Watch out, other 'brothers and sisters' will want to join her in your home!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM

A friend paid $200.00 at a Mancuso SHow (vendor) about 15 years ago. Can't say about the value today.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I also am happy that you have decided to keep her. If you weren't I was wondering just how far you were from me! I love the vintage machines in the bentwood cases. Mine are both 99's and one has the knee bar and the other one has a large metal foot petal. Is the 128 also a 3/4 size machine? I see that you have the attachments for her. Now oil her well and caress her with sewing machine oil and cotton balls to shine her up and let her know that she is going to stay. The machine oil will make her shine and isn't harmful to the beautiful decals on her. Now you need to sew with her and name her. Watch out, other 'brothers and sisters' will want to join her in your home!
this was recently posted on the vintage thread regarding size of the 128.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by majormom View Post
Oh what a beauty! I do not know much about vintage machines, but I would dearly love to have one. I think you should keep this beauty and use it. I hear vintage machines sew a straighter stitch and are just workhorses to boot. If your quilting with it you can even fmq, I hear. My husband has been looking around at yard sales and an antique shop or two to find one of these beauties for me. No luck yet, but he is persistent so I'm sure there will be a vintage Singer in my future (if I live long enough! hee-hee-hee
check out craigslist. there are several vintage machines in your area. there is a beautiful electric singer redeye that is a must have, beautiful decals.
http://nh.craigslist.org/search/?are...ine&catAbb=sss
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by kelsunshine View Post
Yes mine is VERY heavy also. I wouldn't want to guess what it would cost to ship somewhere.
I will take my key to the hardware store and see if they can copy it.
If they can I'll PM you for your address and send it to you. Then you can see if it will fit.
If they can't copy it I'll let you know that too.
Thank You for checking to see if a key can be made....how sweet of you. Have a Great weekend!!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM

I went to the Singer website. Your machine was manufactured in 1921! I know nothing of her value, but if I were you, I would hang on to it!

Jeanette Frantz