Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to pack fabric for a move >

How to pack fabric for a move

How to pack fabric for a move

Old 10-03-2021, 04:22 AM

We moved from a hot dry climate to a humid climate, we used cardboard boxes and everything was fine. All of my fabric was packed in small boxes and labeled by color. Some of the fabric was used as padding for glasses, between plates, between pots and pans, etc. Also all of our clothing and shoes were in cardboard boxes. I was concerned about the humidity but nothing was ruined, no mold, mildew, bugs, nothing was broken. We built a new house and all of our stuff was in storage for 14 months in a humid climate.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Fabric is heavy - so make sure that you use boxes/containers that you are able to handle.

The 56 qt Sterilite plastic tote is about all I can handle when it is full. And that is only lifting it to about three feet off the floor/ground.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:04 AM

When we moved the last time--4 years ago, I realized how much fabric I actually have. I used cardboard boxes and had no problem. Keeping them to a manageable weight/size ratio is very important. Since you do not know how long it will be, before your sewing room is unpacked, I would make up a few smaller project kits and keep them available to work on when time permits.

Using fabric for packing material is a great idea. I used towels and other linens--never thought of my fabric.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:06 AM

I agree with keeping the boxes small. I learned years ago to pack everything in boxes I could handle alone. I keep fabric in plastic boxes on shelves by color. The fabrics have been in there for 20 years and are fine. They are in the air conditioned house so there's not a problem with mold or mildew and they do get opened, but some of them have only get opened every 4 or 5 years beause they aren't fabrics I used in my every day sewing/quilting.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

My fabric was in storage in plastic bins for over a year. They were fine. We used an insect fogger for the rented unit several time a year so I didn't use cardboard boxes.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:26 AM

This is an interesting thread for me. My BFF just moved 1800 miles away to her "forever" home. Her huge stash has been in storage for over 7 years. Some is packed in totes, and some in boxes. I'm leaving later this week to spend a week helping her unbox and set up her quilting studio. I'll have to see which fared better, and how differences in packing might have impacted the fabric.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:31 AM

all great ideas that I can use also.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:11 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I also used fabric to cushion china and glassware in the “last” move. Worked fine, saved from buying plastic packing.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was so worried that cardboard boxes would discolor the fabric. I envisioned brown lines on the edges where the fabric touched the cardboard.

had thought about packing my fabric in tote (plastic) boxes, but then I would have so many of them laying around after I put my craft room back together. I have wall to wall cabinets with shelves and doors that I keep (store) my fabric in, that I will be taking with me, so I really don't need any totes to keep, for storing fabric in.

I've decided to go ahead and pack my fabric in cardboard boxes, since it will be safe for the fabric and then I can just recycle them once I'm done.

Fingers crossed for a seamless and quick move! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-03-2021, 03:17 PM

I probably wouldn't sweat it. Although cardboard does have acid in it, I think for a few months it would be fine. I'd be more cautious about plastic bags. No air, possible mildew?