Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How precise/accurate do you try to be in your own work? >

How precise/accurate do you try to be in your own work?

How precise/accurate do you try to be in your own work?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Banned

I think I'm picky.

The one thing that blows my mind is when I see shop examples that are really poorly made. Yuck!

Hard to imagine they use items that have horrible stitching, off center things, or just lousy finishing techniques as examples. It makes me wonder if the machines they sell are so challenging to use that a person has a rough time getting a decent result -or- is it just poor craftsmanship?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The technicality of piecing is a catharsis for me. I work to make things as neat as possible, then remind myself (and students) that we're working with fabric, not stone -- it moves and has give and is like a living thing. After one re-do, let go and move on.
That catharsis part? .....maybe that's why I have so many UFOs....I enjoy the piecing part much better than the finishing.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM

bearisgray - I think you stated it perfectly. I can relate to everything you said. It is a copy of how I was raised. I think times were just different back then and people conserved more for their money. Nowadays, people don't value money in the same way. It just kills me every time my son wants to go buy a pair of jeans that yes, have holes in them for $100 plus. I don't think so. And I am being conservative saying $100 plus. I too strive for perfection in my sewing. And yes, I too look at the back side. Probably just a bad habit that I can't break. But I don't let it control me and ruin the fun of sewing.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM

I also try to make perfect points, seams, etc. but I will only unsew 4 times and then if it still doesn't look right, well then that is the way it is suppose to be. I feel that each time I do this I am learning something & teaching myself at the same time. If I don't tell anyone they won't see my small errors. I had to teach myself to not be in a hurry & it will get done when it gets done.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I strive to be better by stretching my abilities with each piece I make. I tend to try for perfection, but there is always something that happens to humble me in the process. LOL... I find the thinking about the piece before beginning to cut helps a lot. Also, when you have made something previously that uses a better finish to the item that can be incorporated into the new piece to improve it, I do.

I suppose we are the ones who know the truth about each piece and love it anyways. My mom was overworked and never taught me a thing about sewing or anything about keeping the home really. I have had to learn it all by reading, listening and living it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-31-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I don't see any need to point out my goofs to everyone I see - if fixable, I change it. If not, I live with it. Or give it away!

I have learned to keep my "constructive critiquing" to myself - unless asked.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:21 AM

I am careful in my work, aiming for perfection but not obsessing over imperfections. I will never forget, after I pieced my first quilt top, a jelly roll pattern, and the seams were appallingly mismatched; I went to the quilt store and was so embarrassed, but wanted to follow through and finish the process. The ladies there were so nice and supportive, and said 'We're here to have fun, not to be perfect.' Sometimes I wonder if I would have given up in discouragement had they not been so kind and encouraging. As I gain understanding of the process, my work continues to improve. I think improvement, rather than perfection, is a good goal.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Bearisgray,

Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman! How blessed you are to have had her as a teacher, role model, and most of all -- as your mother!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Accuracy is very important to me, in cutting and piecing. I take my time, try to challenge myself with trickier patterns, and I keep learning.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:56 AM

My Mom and your Mom were cut from the same cloth. Those teachings of my youth are still the cornerstones of my work.
I can still remember getting dressed for prom.. and all of my aunts happened to be at the house... and all of them when they saw my dress ( I made) never looked at the whole dress , just immediately lifted the bottom to inspect the hem. Once they had examined the hem and seams .... then looked at the right side of the dress. I was very happy to have "passed muster" with some of the best sewers I have ever known.