Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to prevent wavy borders? >

How to prevent wavy borders?

How to prevent wavy borders?

Old 03-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Default How to prevent wavy borders?

I know it is best to cut borders on lengthwise of grain but sometimes I can't for various reasons. So what is the best way to stabilize borders ?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM

When you cut your border, measure 3 times across your quilt, then average it. This is the length you cut your border. Start pinning in the middle and pin to both ends. Also, when you sew the border to the quilt top, put the border on top. Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM

I always sew on my borders with the quilt top on the bottom, the border piece on top. Even with a walking foot this helps "ease" in the quilt top and keeps the border flat. Clear as mud? Be sure and measure 3 times, once thru the middle and both sides and then take the average. Some people just take the middle measurement but I like to average. Do the same procedure for the top and bottom borders.

Raggiemom, we were typing at the same time!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM

I tend to cut my borders on the crosswise grain- but that is what works for me. When I attach them to the quilt, I take the measurement down the middle of the quilt and use that, not just the measurement down the side.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Borders are wavy because there's more fabric in them than in the rest of the quilt. So measuring, as the others have responded, is the key. You can also keep the border fabric more stable by starching it and handling it carefully.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Here's a great online tutorial for adding borders: http://frommycarolinahome.wordpress....nding-the-why/
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Also pin the border to the quilt top. I have a friend who doesn't think measuring and pinning is necessary, then she wonders why her border is wavy and her quilt not square. I will admit, I cut my border a tad longer than I've measured, pinning where the edge should be but that gives me a little fudge room when it just doesn't work out that way.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 PM

I measure carefully through the center of the quilt. I usually check as I'm putting the top together to make sure both sides are even. Cutting is either lengthwise or crosswise depending on the fabric. I mark the middle and quarter points of both the top and the border. Then I pin pin pin matching the middle and quarter points. I usually sew with the border on the bottom so I can make sure my block seams aren't twisted. Putting on borders is my least favorite part of quilting but mine always lie flat.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Borders are wavy because there's more fabric in them than in the rest of the quilt. So measuring, as the others have responded, is the key. You can also keep the border fabric more stable by starching it and handling it carefully.
Dunster is absolutely correct AGAIN !! Good going girl !! If your quilt isn't square, then the borders may be wavy no matter how you cut your border. What was mentioned above does work ONLY if you are off a bit. I have had customers that their quilts were off MORE than an inch in different locations on their quilts. Also I have noticed that photos of even table runners don't lay flat because they are so heavily quilted. Let the beauty of your piecing outshine any quilting that you do. Quilting should compliment the quilt top, not compete. Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Try not to pull on it when attaching it.