Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: how to price a sewing machine

drv

how to price a sewing machine

Have looked throughout the internet and eBay, trying to find how to price my Bernina Virtuosa 160 QE. Where can I look next? Thanks,
    drv

Blog Entries
    There is a Bernina Virtuosa 150 and 153 on ebay that might give you an idea of how to price yours.

I also found this on How To about the value of sewing machines. http://www.ehow.com/about_7548150_va...-machines.html

Listings on ebay really won't tell you what they are selling for. You can check closed/sold auctions on ebay. I can list a machine for a million dollars. It doesn't mean it will sell for that, or is worth it. So many people are dreamers when it comes to selling their stuff:>

Blog Entries
    I always go to the Ebay sold items to get a general idea what others will pay. I may have a thousand dollar museum quality item but unless someone wants to buy it for a thousand dollars it really isn't worth that much just sitting on my table.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I always go to the Ebay sold items to get a general idea what others will pay. I may have a thousand dollar museum quality item but unless someone wants to buy it for a thousand dollars it really isn't worth that much just sitting on my table.
    I've sometimes wanted to check what a machine osld for (if I missed the end of the auction). How do I get to the Ebay sold items?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    How do you find the Ebay sold items?
    Last edited by aborning; 06-22-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: double posting

I have one I want to sell as well, have you had any luck finding a price?

Quote Originally Posted by aborning View Post
    How do you find the Ebay sold items?
    Put the item in question in the search. After the results come up, look on the left and scroll down and you can select a box with 'completed items only.'

There is also sewitsforsale, a yahoo group that you can join and then do a search for listings for a specific item. A quick check didn't find a Virtuosa 160, but has had listings for a 163 ($1,000 included shipping in US lower 48) and a 153 that was $700 plus shipping, est. to be about $60.

There is a current listing for a 153QE that started at $1,500 and has been reduced to $1,200 but, frankly, that still seems high to me. That model was my original Bernina, I still have it and love it, but wouldn't want to pay that much for a used machine. Fairly sure I could get one for less than that @ the local Bernina machine shop, and I would know the dealer.

I have a 160 also that I wanted to sell and then decided I wasn't ready to let go of it. Depending on condition of machine and what comes with it I would say from $600 to $1000. The 1230's are still selling for around $1200. I think a lot of people aren't familiar with the Virtuosa line even though they are a great machine.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

To do a search of completed e-bay sales, you must be signed in. Enter search criteria (in this case, Bernina 160). Scroll down to "Show only" on left; click on "completed listings."

A 160 was sold on July 17 for $461 plus $50 shipping. It's the only one that has sold. Very few Virtuosas are listed at all, as you will see if you do a search yourself. My guess is that most people would sell them through a dealer, probably as part of a trade-up, to get the most for them. Of course, selling that way you are then spending lots more, lol!