Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How scrappy do you get? >

How scrappy do you get?

How scrappy do you get?

Old 04-15-2022, 09:25 AM

Default How scrappy do you get?

While cleaning out the sewing room, I've found a shoe box full of 2 1/2" squares. So, the cleaning stoped and I sat to sew while watching a TV program. Doing my best not to be so matchy matchy in colors, but finding it hard to do. When you do scrappy, how wild do you go? I'm mixing Civil War with brighter colors left over from my Project Linus Quilts. Is this ok? Can you show me some of your 2 1/2" that you made into quilts?
Old 04-15-2022, 09:46 AM
Banned

My scrappy plan is whatever! I just grab and sew me if a few squares of the same color or even the same fabric end up together, oh well! For 2.5 inch squares I like the versatile split nine patch. Pictures to follow.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

If I found a box like yours I would just sew them all together. A friend gave me a box of 1 1/2” squares. I sewed them all together and put a border on. It is small- about 18” square. I backed it with muslin and quilted and bound it and it is hanging on my wall and I like looking at it. Other times I try to go with “controlled scrappy” depending on what I have to work with.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:40 PM

Here's my scrappy hexie quilt top. It's pretty scrappy!
hexies-qb.jpg
Old 04-15-2022, 02:21 PM

When I do scrappy like you are doing, I just grab and sew. The only rule is no 2 identical next to each other.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
When I do scrappy like you are doing, I just grab and sew. The only rule is no 2 identical next to each other.
That's pretty much how I do it.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:30 PM

I love seeing scrappy projects. It seems like everyone has the prettiest scraps. I have tried to use scrap fabrics and they just don’t play nice together.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:07 PM

My Pineapple blocks are a mish-mash. Some are planned, and some are Friday vegetable soup, if you know what I mean. They are all pretty in their own way.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:56 PM

Default Scrappy

I have a LOT of scraps in different sizes. My only rule is to try not to have the exact same piece right next to each other, but it has happened before. If that does happen, I try not to get bent out of shape about it. After all, either I'm not in the room with it, or, if I am, my eyes are closed and I won't see it anyway. If I give it away, I still don't stress over it, because after all, I'm not perfect. I tend to just use whatever comes up and don't worry if the color/design don't match. The "old-timers" used what they had available, and so do I.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:28 PM

Its whatever you like - but my personal taste runs to have something in common. Usually that's a background but I just did something with internal and external borders and that controlled it. (The project Linus quick quilt if you need to know).

So you've got two choices as I see it. Make 16 patches and sash with a common color or just treat it like a stamp quilt and put everything together willy-nilly.