Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How shall I quilt "Surf Song"? >

How shall I quilt "Surf Song"?

How shall I quilt "Surf Song"?

Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM

Default How shall I quilt "Surf Song"?

Hi everyone - I'm hoping for some advice. I'm going to use the "Surf Song" bargello quilt I'm making as my first attempt at long arm quilting. I'm taking a class on the long arm and, if that goes well, will do my quilt there myself. The thing is, I have no idea what kind of a pattern to use. I have to do something easy, of course, but what goes with a bargello? A swirly pattern? Squares? Straight lines? Flowers? I know it's an off beat question, but any advice would be appreciated. Pictures of yours, maybe?

Thanks in advance. I absolutely love this board. I don't post much, but I do read it every day and I have learned so much here since I started quilting a few years ago. You're all wonderful!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:43 PM

when I started longarming I started with pantos, you get a good sense of how to move the machine without worrying about making the design. A bargello is a good one for an edge to edge or panto. There are some very nice designs with swirls or feathers , just be mindful of the size, having an 18" throat does not mean you can do an 18" panto.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 PM

I have one quilt that was LA'd with a panto that always reminds me of ocean waves. I think that or any type of wavy lines that would remind a person of water and currents would be great. BTW love the Surf Song pattern.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I quilt all my Bargello patterns following the lines in the design. You don't want to have anything busy distracting from your beautiful piecing.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 AM

I've been LA quilting for about 5 years. Before you put your beautiful quilt on the frame, buy yardage (I bought several coordinating fabrics, quilted them up for the grandkids, the SIL grandkids, the grand nieces and nephews.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

When I first started LA I chose a quilt I didn't care about as my first "sacrificial Lamb". You will know quick enough after your lesson if you want to do your surf song bargello or wait until you have a few more quilts under your belt. Unlike many, I free motioned several quilts before doing a panto. I agree with Kathy that a bargello is a good candidate for a panto but I don't think I would attempt it as my first quilt after taking a lesson. You will worry too much about "ruining" it. Please note that you will not "ruin" it but we are always so hyper-critical of our own work that I know the first time you stray off the line or zig when you should have zagged you will think to yourself that you have "ruined" your quilt. Anyway, I recommend your first longarming attempt be on a quilt you don't care if you "ruin" it.

Edited to add, before loading that quilt I practiced for a week on a scrap yard of quilt sandwich. I practiced everything I wanted to try on my first quilt and other stuff too. So don't be surprised if after your lesson you don't hit the ground running. I'm not aware of too many people who do.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-26-2015 at 07:33 AM.