Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How should I quilt this - Part II

Question How should I quilt this - Part II

I had asked for quilting suggestions earlier for my star quilt - https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...lt-t291658.htm. I have narrowed it down to two possibilities, but can't decide between them...

Name:  Echoes small.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  340.8 KB

This first one is what Rob and a few other people had suggested - concentric stars, echoing out across the quilt.

Name:  Van Gogh small.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  343.8 KB

The other possibility is something my (non-quilting) sister had said. She suggested I make the quilting look like brushstrokes, to give the effect of Van Gogh's Starry Night. It looks a bit sloppy here, but I think I can make it a bit tidier on the actual quilt. I would try to follow the general overall dark and light swirls of the top in the stitching.

I'm completely torn - they give such different looks, but I really like them both! What would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

I like both, but my first choice would be the stars. Fantastic quilt!
    Sue

Power Poster
    ​I think either one would be fine but I would do the quilting with invisible thread so it didn't detract from the piecing. I am thinking the second one with the invisible thread would add a lot of texture but not be noticable on the piecing.

For reference, this is the general pattern I would follow with the brushstrokes in the second option.

Name:  Brushstroke directions.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  297.8 KB

Blog Entries
    i like the second choice, but would do the quilting with a disappearing thread... the darker color hides the beauty of your piecing.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

If it were mine I would just do FMQ in a large stipple. That is all I mainly do on my quilts. Sorry I am no help.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love, love LOVE!!! the second one that mimic's van gough's brush strokes. I remember the initial topic and the quilt top itself was quite dramatic and stood on it's own so my first inclination was to do an all over of some sort. But nothing came to me and I liked what Rob described so didn't add to the conversation. But the idea you and your sister came up with is unique, unexpected and totally awesome. I would do the brushstroke idea with a super fine thread like invisifil or Superior microquilter or even Deco bob in a light gray that would blend in. Those super fine threads blend in pretty well no matter what. You could even go with white and it wouldn't stand out but just leave texture.

Blog Entries
    to be different, the second one but more of it of course. Lovely quilt.

Great quilt! I like both but the second one is my favorite. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

I was on board with the stars until I saw "Starry Night." That is a perfect pattern for this quilt. My other suggestion is to make another quilt and use both patterns. Then send one to me!

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I love the Van Gough style, with invisible thread and not so dense stitching

To me the first one is best because it compliments the star shapes. The second one competes with the shapes for pride of place.

I'm for the second.

I also really like your idea that would mimic the starry night effect. If you do add in some of the echoing around stars that you show in the third photo, be sure to keep your quilting density across the whole quilt as even as possible so your quilt doesn’t get wavy.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Love, love LOVE!!! the second one that mimic's van gough's brush strokes. I remember the initial topic and the quilt top itself was quite dramatic and stood on it's own so my first inclination was to do an all over of some sort. But nothing came to me and I liked what Rob described so didn't add to the conversation. But the idea you and your sister came up with is unique, unexpected and totally awesome. I would do the brushstroke idea with a super fine thread like invisifil or Superior microquilter or even Deco bob in a light gray that would blend in. Those super fine threads blend in pretty well no matter what. You could even go with white and it wouldn't stand out but just leave texture.
    I'm in total agreement with this idea and love your sister's suggestion--would make this totally unique quilt even more stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
    Name:  Echoes small.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  340.8 KB

Name:  Van Gogh small.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  343.8 KB

I like the idea of the first. I think the 2nd takes away from the piecing. What if you started with a star and echoing a little bit. Then have another star start below to the right, (for example) and echo it, but do not cross over the first echoing. Kind of like tessellated? I wish I could draw this so it would be more clear. I would use a thread that blends. Perhaps Glide to give it a little shine, but not a lot of glitz.

I prefer the 1st choice.

Blog Entries
    number two

I like the stars because you have done a lot of work to piece the quilt and the stars lets all that work show.