Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How small does it have to be before you stop calling it a "Quilt"? >

How small does it have to be before you stop calling it a "Quilt"?

How small does it have to be before you stop calling it a "Quilt"?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
Does it really matter what you call it? As long as you had fun making it and it makes you or someone else happy then it really doesn't matter what you call it.
To me, it kinda does. If someone says "I made you a quilt", oh boy! I clear off my bed, expecting a new cover tonight, and they hand me a 12" x 12" quilted piece. Wonderful. Beautiful. But to me, not a "quilt". It's a "quilted wall hanging", or a "quilted pot holder" or a "doll quilt", or a "quilted dohickey", but not exactly "a quilt". If someone told me "I'm wearing a quilt", I would expect them to be wrapped from head to toe in a quilt, *giggles at the brain image* not wearing a quilted broach or a quilted vest. Just me. Not exactly tomayto-tomahato, more like apple-orange-fruit.

p.s. Just as a matter of curiosity, what would one DO with a "quilt" that was, oh, say, 36" x 36" besides hang it up?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM

I'm thinking when it's a pot holder..but I see coasters listed. NEVER then! That is YOUR definition to place on your work!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM

If you can consider anything quilted a quilt, no wonder people brag about making 200-300 quilts in 5 years. I don't think so. My opinion.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM

I think you answered your own question here. I also make doll quilts and they can be pretty small depending on the doll.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by QKO
Isn't anything that's sandwiched and quilted, by definition a quilt? :)
A agree. To me "a quilt" is the process of the creation, not the size. I have a quilt that's a pin for my lapel.

Jan in VA
I have a "quilt" that is pin sized as well. It is still a quilt with 3 layers and stitching.
Quilted ornaments are very small. It isn't a size for me, just a process.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

I agree, Jan.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by KyKat
I mean, small wall hangings? table runners? pot holders? place mats? small couch throws that aren't really big enough to cover a person? Just because they are quilted handcrafts, are they "quilts" or do we call them something else? Just wondering.
Personally, if its got 3 layers its a quilt - I've made a long oblong quilt that hangs over my son's super long sofa and doll quilts for granddaughter's American Girl babies - they're all quilts to me.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM

hi it is all quilted just call it aquilted tabelerunner or place mate or table topper it is all quillted and when it is finished it is beautiful isn't enjoy maggied by the way my dog max went to doggied heaven two weeks ago sad day
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
If it's got three layers sewn together it's a "quilt" - no matter what size. Now you can call it a mini, a runner, a wall hanging, or whatever, but it's still a quilt. IF however, you look only at the usefulness of the object, then ONLY those that are used for covering should be called quilt which includes knee throws and doll quilts but no wall hangings. Isn't it fun to make up your own rules?
But I USE a quilted wall hanging in my living room to cover up a blemish in the wall. It is a useful quilt.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 PM

In my book, if there are three layers and they are all bound together with stitching....no matter how small...it's a quilt!

Definition of QUILT

a: a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs

There are little 1 inch tall dolls, so they probably could use a quilt on their bed! :-D :lol: