Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to Store Quilts?

Blog Entries

Smile How to Store Quilts?

How do you store your quilts? I don't have a spare bed to put them on, so I am open to suggestions, ideas, whatever.

I roll my quilts on cardboard tubes (you can find them in fabric stores or longer tubes in carpet stores). I cover first the tube with a cotton sheet then roll a few quilts then wrap everything in another sheet.

And here are pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I attended a lecture by a serious collector of vintage quilts, with some very expensive quilts in her collection. She wraps the quilts around wide PVC and then wraps in fabric, like Geta. Her husband built a very tall closet that they store the quilts in, standing up on end.

I hang them in a closet. Fold enough to fit on those large plastic hangers, then cover with a garbage bag, hang it, tie the bottom of the garbage bag loosely, this way it still gets air, but is protected from dust, etc. This is also a good tip for moving, you can take about 10-15 hangers with clothes on them, tie wrap the hangers together, cover whole thing with garbage bag, tie top of bag around top of hangers, keeps them together and clean, ready to hang in new closet, take bags off later!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

You can also use pool noodles from the Dollar Store - put a piece of fabric over them, roll on the quilt then cover with more fabric. Leah Day suggested this here http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ur-quilts.html

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    After reading Leah Day's blog posted above, I can see where slipping a dowel rod down into the pool noodle to prevent the amount of bending-in-the-middle that's inherent in these cool tools.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html