Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to trim quilts for binding

Question how to trim quilts for binding

I am fairly new to quilting and have made 3 lap quilts for my bridesmaids as part of their gifts. I have got them all quilted together but have no idea how to trim them up for binding. Do I have to square them up? Do I just cut beside the topper? Please help! Thanks
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: update title to reflect contents

Blog Entries
    Could you post a pic? I do square up the corners and even out the sides according to the borders. Trimming up the sides and making them straight gets the quilt ready for binding.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Squaring up a quilt top is always easier if you can see it being done. Here's a U-Tube video made just for beginning quilters: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlo79fz6P0

And here's a wonderful Quilting Board Post on this very topic: www.quiltingboard.com/.../squaring-up-quilt-top-prior-binding-t937

Hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, please write back! We're here to help! If you do write, a photo of one of the quilt tops would be helpful.

Lucky bridesmaids, getting quilts for gifts! Wish I had been so lucky! Kudos to you for making the quilts, and Congratulations on your wedding. May your marriage be blessed with happiness and longevity.

MacThayer

BTW, very cool gift for the bridesmaids. I am sure they will love it.

Blog Entries
    you can trim a bit off if just a plain border near the edges. not if pieced blocks go out to the edge of course.
    i usually trim 1/4 inch from the edge of the quilt top, leaving a bit of batting showing to fill the binding.

Squaring up a quilt top is always easier if you can see it being done. Here's a U-Tube video made just for beginning quilters: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlo79fz6P0

And here's a wonderful Quilting Board Post on this very topic:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ding-t937.html

Hope this is helpful. If you have more questions, please write back! We're here to help! If you do write, a photo of one of the quilt tops would be helpful.

Lucky bridesmaids, getting quilts for gifts! Wish I had been so lucky! Kudos to you for making the quilts, and Congratulations on your wedding. May your marriage be blessed with happiness and longevity.

MacThayer

here is a pic of one of them. The white all around is the batting and backing that is showing. I'm still lost as to how to trim it all up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh, your quilt is soooo pretty. Lucky bridesmaids. Keep watching. Someone will help you.

I am not a pro and my quilts are not perfect but I put the quilt on the floor. I place the cutting mat underneath the side and use the ruler to rotary cut to trim the edge. I try to cut straight lines. I don't enter contests so I am not concerned with it looking perfect. Your quilts are gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    Love the quilt. Those will be a really nice bridesmaid gift.

I'll tell you how I square up my quilts. I have to disclose that I am not a porfessional quilter, I only quilt for fun, so here goes.

I trim the extra batting and backing off even with the top. Then I line up my quilt on my cutting mat and try to square it up with the lines on the mat. I use my 3.5" x 24" ruler, for the sides and top, and my 6.5" square, for the corners, with my rotary cutter to trim off the excess pieces that don't line up. I make it as simple as I can for me.

Have fun.

It might be easiest for you to go to your local shop and have someone show you. That way you can see it being done and ask any questions you may have at the same time. I'm sure anyone there would be happy to help you learn. Beautiful quilt and great idea.

Blog Entries
    I don't have advice for you that is different from what's already been posted, but I DID want to say thank you very much, I saw that you edited your post so the title was very specific. I really appreciate that, and I know there are others here who appreciate that as well!

That's a beautiful quilt!

I'm far, far, from professional . . . but I first like to stitch close to the edge of the quilt, to keep the layers together. Then I try to cut as straight as possible (ruler and rotary cutter), making sure the corners all look square. If the corners are square, the sides usually fall into place pretty easily.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    Love the quilt. Those will be a really nice bridesmaid gift.

I'll tell you how I square up my quilts. I have to disclose that I am not a porfessional quilter, I only quilt for fun, so here goes.

I trim the extra batting and backing off even with the top. Then I line up my quilt on my cutting mat and try to square it up with the lines on the mat. I use my 3.5" x 24" ruler, for the sides and top, and my 6.5" square, for the corners, with my rotary cutter to trim off the excess pieces that don't line up. I make it as simple as I can for me.

Have fun.
    That's basically how I do mine. Sometimes I put one of my square templates in the corners to make sure they're at least kind of square. But I don't stress over it too much (for once... LOL!).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Well, so far I'm not seeing how I do this. You know what they say, 10 quilters in a room, 10 different ways of doing things! I like to machine sew to the front and handstitch to the back. I do not trim before binding. I use my rulers and draw a line to square the quilt up. If I have points to consider, I make sure my line doesn't cut them off. Then I place my binding to that line, sew using 1/4 inch seam allowance. I only trim after sewing, leaving a little bit of the batting showing past the edge of the binding, so that the binding is full when it is turned to the back. Hope this makes sense...I haven't had all my coffee yet this morning!
    LaDonna
    asisterlyconnection.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    went to the www.quiltingboard.com no server found

Quote Originally Posted by quiltbabe View Post
    Well, so far I'm not seeing how I do this. You know what they say, 10 quilters in a room, 10 different ways of doing things! I like to machine sew to the front and handstitch to the back. I do not trim before binding. I use my rulers and draw a line to square the quilt up. If I have points to consider, I make sure my line doesn't cut them off. Then I place my binding to that line, sew using 1/4 inch seam allowance. I only trim after sewing, leaving a little bit of the batting showing past the edge of the binding, so that the binding is full when it is turned to the back. Hope this makes sense...I haven't had all my coffee yet this morning!
    This is how I do it, too. I don't trim until the binding is sewn to the front. I do baste all the layers before applying the binding, and I use a walking foot to sew the binding on, thus eliminating puckers. I'm always generous when I trim, so that the binding will be nice and full.

since I have quilted which isn't long- when I want to do a binding, I just line up the edge and cut with the rotary cutter. It seems that the binding is filled when I do my handstitching to finish it off. Have never had a problem with it not looking "squared". sometimes I have been known to just cut the excess off with sizzors, can't really tell the difference in the long run.

I serge around the edges to hold them together and it gives me a stitching line to add the binding too. I don't think this is any 'approved' method, just how I do it.

Blog Entries
    I was taught to square the quilt then add backing and batting. This way when you put the binding on and then cut off the excess batting and backing it all comes to the edge of your binding.

I do it like hopetoquilt - put quilt on floor and cutting mat underneath. I find when I stand up I can easily see where the quilt needs to be trimmed or squared a bit. Am cautious with trimming, you can't put it back! and I always leave 1/4 extra batting to fill binding.

Very pretty quilt.

Blog Entries
    I'm curious - for those of you who don't trim until after you attach the binding, how do you ensure the binding goes on square?

I sqaure up my quilts before they are quilted. After the quilting is finished I trim to within an inch of the top so the feed dogs have something to grab hold of while I am sewing on the binding. After the binding is on I trim to between an eighth and a fourth from the top so there is something to fill out the binding when I turn it to the back.

Thanks for the help! Got them all trimmed and ready for binding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast