Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use chalk for marking quilts? >

How to use chalk for marking quilts?

How to use chalk for marking quilts?

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 AM

I've been doing some searching on marking quilt patterns. I keep seeing people say that they use regular chalk to mark their patterns. This probably sounds stupid, but....How do you do this? Do you sharpen it or something? A regular piece of chalk is too big to accurately mark things.

I also see people say to use soap. Do you just use a sharp point to do it? Does it hurt the quilt?

I've been using the quilters markers, but I'm doing a big hand quilt job with intricate patterns, and they are so expensive, I'd like to find a cheaper way.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 AM

I personally don't like chalk because it can rub off the quilt with all your markings and all over you. I usually use a water soluable marker to do mine and it'll last until I'm done quilting the top. Then either spray with water or wash in machine and its gone. Poof!!

Some use the Crayola kids washable markers and say they work. I have them, but haven't used them yet.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:28 AM

I use these. They came from my husband's, grandmother's sewing kit. I don't know if she bought them here or in Japan. It is some kind of tailor's chalk. I love them. I know for sure they weren't expensive. She was quite frugal. They last forever and give a nice fine line.

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...lted/chalk.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I use a pounce pad and stencils. Works for me.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 AM

I use tailor chalks just like Debra's pic, pounce pads, markers and pencils. Blind as a bat. The pencils are the least visible for me.

Tailor chalks can be found all over but Jinny Beyer has them, too. They're good for smaller projects. My Gran used to spray the markings with something to make them last longer. If I did that, they'd probably last forever.

Never used soap but had a neighbor swear by it. Might be worth a try except we don't use bar soap here. :0D
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

All of these ideas are great! I have been practicing a little with small feather wholecloth quilts. I used crayola washable markers, but I tested it first on the fabric I would use, just to be safe.