Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to use a thread stand >

How to use a thread stand

How to use a thread stand

Old 04-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Default How to use a thread stand

I have a thread stand for bigger spools of thread I'm trying to use with my Singer 500 Rocketeer. When I've tried to use it, I just get huge birds' nest on the underneath side of the fabric. I've set the stand behind the machine in the general area of where the thread would normally sit. This is a purchased thread stand, not a homemade one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with it.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 PM

are you able to thread it from the stand to a guide on the top of the machine? Is the thread drooping off the stand? If so you could cut the toe off a stocking and put over the thread to create some tension also.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

When the thread comes off the top of the stand, it should be able to go to a thread guide above it on the machine. If you do not have a top thread guide, you can improvise one by taping a paper clip or similar to the top of your machine and then go through the other guides.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When the thread comes off the top of the stand, it should be able to go to a thread guide above it on the machine. If you do not have a top thread guide, you can improvise one by taping a paper clip or similar to the top of your machine and then go through the other guides.

That’s a great idea. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM

Some have created widgets or used other items for the thread to go from the hoop of the thread stand to near the spool pin.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...readguideb.jpg
Singer Featherweight Thread
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...4-img_0347.jpg

I made a widget out of a filter for sprinklers and the spring from a clothespin to sit on top of the machines spool pin. I have also used an empty bobbin with holes on the sides to go over the thread spool of the machine. I then thread from the thread stand through one of the holes. Then thread the machine as usual. This puts the thread in a path that the machine is used to.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-10-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I taped a paper clip on the top far right back edge and let the thread come through it before going onto the threading parts of my machine.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM

I set mine on a can so its higher than my machine
Gale
Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 PM

I used the cover of a syringe ( live on farm lots of those) and cut the tip off placed it in the lop the thread goes to from the stand itself putting the thread thru it never had any problems n my dad made my thread stand one of the things another was two thread holders Held many spools of thread on the wall I covered each spool with a sandwich baggie to keep the dust off n also hooked the bobbin with a bread tie that hung on the dowel
Old 04-10-2020, 09:19 PM

I do the way that Our Workbench has done - I have a bobbin that goes on the machine's thread spindle and bring the thread from the the holder in back of the machine, through the hole in the side of the bobbin and on thru the machine. That works for all my machines (Singers, Viking, and Janome).
Old 04-11-2020, 08:06 AM

I position the thread stand as close to where the spool would be placed on the machine.following every thread guide. I also make sure the stand is as high as I can get it. Mine has 2 guides on it so I use the one that is closest to the machine. It is all about the thread guides. I also put over the thread a nylon thread sock that give the thread a bit more tension keeps it just right on the spool.