Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How and when did you get started in quilting? >

How and when did you get started in quilting?

How and when did you get started in quilting?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 AM

[quote=StitchinJoy]
Originally Posted by lclang
There was an old treadle sewing machine in the haymow, the kind with the long skinny bobbins. I asked my mom to come up in the haymow and clean and oil that machine so I could sew doll clothing. She did that and I sewed many happy hours, not making anything much but sweating like a trooper in the summer heat. quote]

What's a haymow?

In the south, we call them a hay loft. A place where you store hay to keep it out of the weather and dry.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM

I'm really not sure when I learned to sew. My mom was a very talented seamstress and could make anything. I do remember having to take Home Ec when I was 15 and I already knew how to sew. After I got married, I bought my own sewing machine and made all my horse show clothes. Back then, they fit right out of the pattern. I have sewn off and on for the past 40 years, but it was only when my DD was expecting my first grandchild, that I got interested in quilting (4 years ago) That first quilt was a kit and oh what a disaster! I did finish the top but it looks so bad I have never quilted it. But oh what I learned from that first quilt. Then I took a Sunbonnet Sue wallhanging class that was supposed to be finished in a day. Some of the ladies were so lost in that we ran out of time. I did get it finished after the class and it hangs in my hallway.

Since then I have made several table toppers and a full size bed quilt and several baby quilts. I could get alot more done if I sewed on a more regular schedule but sometimes I will go a month or more without touching a machine. Right now I'm working on 2 baby quilts and getting ready to start a BOM from my LQS. Debating about whether to join in on the Fall Table runner swap.

Between this board and books, I have learned SEW much about quilting! I would like to do some garment sewing too but alas, I never learned the art of alterations :oops: and really don't have the patience to do so. Quilting feeds my sewing interest since I can choose how easy or complicated I want to do. So far I stick with easy patterns as I want it completed! I'm not a perfectionist at all and feel like *finished is better than perfect*.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :XD:
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM

what a fun question! I took my first class at the Quilting Parlor in Enid OK, in about 1989, made a log cabin quilt, strip pieced, for the friends who allowed me to stay at their house and babysat for my son who was 3yo at the time, it was their 50th wedding anniversary gift. The quilt has since been passed on to their daughter who has been a very good friend since we worked together 30 years ago! I have been quilting ever since! It is truly my therapy!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM

I started in 1983, I was 32 and took classes at a shop in Roanoke, Virginia. My first quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted.