Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would I calculate # of  squares with >

How would I calculate # of squares with

How would I calculate # of squares with

Old 04-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Default How would I calculate # of squares with

Is it possible to have a 12" center square on point and have 10" squares on point floating around it and how would I figure the number of squares I would need for at least a queen size quilt. The floaters would have to be at least 10" due to the size of my applique. Or should I just make the center to be at least 20" square? Help... I see you shaking your head at me...lol but I have taken ideas from different quilts I have seen and want to put it all together.

Thanks for your wisdom in advance!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM
RST

Have you made your blocks already? If so, put them up on a design wall with taped off areas or paper squares to fill in while you figure out your arrangement.

Otherwise, get out your graph paper and start drawing.

I don't think you've provided enough info or a clear enough description of your vision in your post for anyone to be able to give you an accurate answer.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:57 PM

I haven't cut anything out yet. I read about the graph paper and plan on that too. I have a center block that will be 12" square . I plan on setting this on point. The remaining blocks would also be on point. I just not sure if it would work if I used 10" squares on point for the remainder of the quilt. Does this make sense? I have it my head but maybe I'm not using my words.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 PM

It will work if you use a 2" sashing on the 10" squares to bring them up to 12", or if you make the centre square 20". You could also do 12" centre, 10" other if you use irregularly sized and shaped blocks around blocks around the 12" block (basically to bring it up to 20 or 30"). I think making your centre block 20" would be easiest.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here are 2 graphics that may be a tiny bit of help. They were drawn for another application, I hope you can understand them for your situation.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails one-block-point.png   piecing-large-setting-triangles-2.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 02:29 AM

There is no real trick to designing on-point quilts. It's easier for most people to see/plan things straight on than tilted, so design it as a square setting and then turn it 45° and add/subtract along the edges to square it up again. If you can draw it straight, you can make it on-point.

I can't picture the layout you want, but I think graph paper would be the simplest way to see if the 10" and 12" combo fits to your liking.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I just use my Electric Quilt program. This is where it excels the best. Draw it out on draft paper. Use the scale of an inch to equal 12" block.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
There is no real trick to designing on-point quilts. It's easier for most people to see/plan things straight on than tilted, so design it as a square setting and then turn it 45° and add/subtract along the edges to square it up again. If you can draw it straight, you can make it on-point.

I can't picture the layout you want, but I think graph paper would be the simplest way to see if the 10" and 12" combo fits to your liking.
Seems like a good place to start.

Or you could cut squares from paper to scale and play around with them .