Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you fix this? >

How would you fix this?

How would you fix this?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Default How would you fix this?

This quilt was machine quilted but is now coming apart and fraying after being washed and dried (something I can't understand how it happened - I never dry quilts in the dryer). It's on the back of a quilt so it has been completely quilted and finished many years ago.

Do you have any ideas for fixing it? I welcome all thoughts.

Thanks so much,
Attached Thumbnails quilt2.jpg   quilt.jpg   quilt3.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

It looks like there wasn't enough seam allowance, so the seam came apart when stressed. You could zigzag with satin stitch over the areas where that's happening - hopefully there aren't too many of those places.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I would find a nice piece of cotton ribbon, cut a piece of fusible for the back, fold both ends in and press the ribbon in place to cover the split and make a new stem. I would then hand sew the edges to the quilt so the ribbon becomes part of the design. You could do the same idea with fabric but then you would need to turn both edges under before sewing it down.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:41 PM

It always seems to be on the same fabric. I would also zigzag over all the seams that are doing this as I think that would be the easiest (for me anyway).
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Same thing with a small quilt my sister gave me to fix. I found matching/coordinating ribbon and used a washable glue stick. Ran the glue stick across the back. You could also use the Elmer's washable glue and just dot it to the open area. Let set a little then stitch over it. The thing is sometimes when they wash these quilts, like my ds did, they throw it in with sheets and even perma press cycle is too rough. Where the seams came open the seams were hardly 1/8" much less 1/4".
Old 02-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I made a baby quilt for my niece. I washed it but didn't check it out before I gave it to her. It did the exact same thing. I zigzagged over the area really densely and it looked and worked fine after that. Usually I don't wash my quilts before i give them away. Now I am going to. I live in Oregon -- my niece in Texas. I had to take it home and fix it and mail it back to her. Small price to pay for fixing a blunder.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 AM

How do you zigzag stitch a seam repair after the quilt has been quilted? Doesn't that show on the other side?.....or do I need another cuppa?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM

I would think the stitching used to repair the seam(s) can be made to look as though it was there from the beginning.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would find a nice piece of cotton ribbon, cut a piece of fusible for the back, fold both ends in and press the ribbon in place to cover the split and make a new stem. I would then hand sew the edges to the quilt so the ribbon becomes part of the design. You could do the same idea with fabric but then you would need to turn both edges under before sewing it down.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:43 AM

[QUOTE=Tartan;6562907]I would find a nice piece of cotton ribbon, cut a piece of fusible for the back, fold both ends in and press the ribbon in place to cover the split and make a new stem. I would then hand sew the edges to the quilt so the ribbon becomes part of the design. You could do the same idea with fabric but then you would need to turn both edges under before sewing it down.[/QUOTE This is how I would do it. Stitching the ribbon by hand while listening to my favorite TV show. And you would have to do all the leaves so they would all match.