Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you set these antique candle wick blocks? >

How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

How would you set these antique candle wick blocks?

Old 02-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I finished candlewicked blocks into a quilt for a friend a few years ago....the pictures were very poor so won't share here....and then handquilted it. The blocks were set with sashing of a very good muslin to match the background of the candlewicking. I used a natural crochet thread 10 wt. to handquilt it. The quilt looks like a whole cloth quilt and the owner was delighted with it.

If you have only the four blocks shown, maybe you could make a wall hanging or table topper. If you use a very contrasting color with the blocks, that tends to take away from the candlewicking as your main focus. To me, this sort of handwork is better viewed as a neutral or natural whole cloth item, whether you hand or machine quilt it.

Please share when you finish!

Jan in VA
Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

My sister once made many blocks of candlewicking, but she was not a quilter. So I set the blocks together with a soft beige, tiny print as sashing and border--which was very pretty with the "unbleached" color of the blocks. I then hand quilted using the pattern of the candlewick--it was a large double circle with tulips and doves. She has passed on now, and I don't know what happened to the quilt she used as bed spread. I really liked the end product, but would never have patience to make all those knots!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:50 PM

So pretty!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I finished candlewicked blocks into a quilt for a friend a few years ago....the pictures were very poor so won't share here....and then handquilted it. The blocks were set with sashing of a very good muslin to match the background of the candlewicking. I used a natural crochet thread 10 wt. to handquilt it. The quilt looks like a whole cloth quilt and the owner was delighted with it.

If you have only the four blocks shown, maybe you could make a wall hanging or table topper. If you use a very contrasting color with the blocks, that tends to take away from the candlewicking as your main focus. To me, this sort of handwork is better viewed as a neutral or natural whole cloth item, whether you hand or machine quilt it.

Please share when you finish!

Jan in VA
Jan, this is my thought exactly, but you said it much better than I would have! I think the white on white look with the candlewicking just stands alone and is beautiful.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:35 PM

Not got anything of value to add to the suggestion but those are beautiful candlewick blocks! This is on my bucket list of projects to do.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

If not possible to make into a table topper or wall hanging how about you just frame them. They are beautiful and I think with the right frame they would look great. I see that you said you have twelve of them. So maybe that will not work for you. Please be sure to show us what you decide to do. BrendaK

Last edited by BrendaK; 02-13-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:33 PM

I would love to see them left rectangle just to be something different and I would love to see them sashed with a pale antique looking calico.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 PM

What lovely blocks. I think I would trim them down, and make a tablerunner or topper with them. Does she have a formal dining room?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
How 'bout sashing them with a neutral and sewing them two side-by-side to make a table runner which could also be a wallhanging.

In any case, they are lovely and you are a sweetie to make them into something to thrill your neighbour's heart.
I like this idea! I will have to mull it over a bit and play with the order. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Not knowing how old these block are, I would do a tug test. Saw a post on Bonnie Hunter and she was getting ready to work on some vintage fabric. She had sewn a few together and they tore right in her hands. She took a couple other pieces and tugged. The fabric had broken down and became unstable. She stopped using them all and just put them back. This was this week. May want to do a tug test just in case. The fabric was almost 100 years old she stated. Worth a shot. Yours may not be that old but I would do it anyway. Hope it passes the tug test.
thanks Tessagin, they are in excellent condition. Nice weight muslin.