Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you wash?? >

How would you wash??

How would you wash??

Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 AM

Hi bizybess...

Again.. I hadn't thought of that.. People wash king sized sheets in their washers all the time.. This is some bigger... but I have a large capacity washer and dryer. May be just fine.

Thanks for reminding me of that fact! :-)
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Judie, I would suggest that you buy some retayne and use that when you wash your big piece. If you can't find that maybe some white vinegar in the wash, and I think I would wash it at least twice, since it is dark colored. If you are washing it in your home washer, you can always check to see if it faded out any in the water. I would wash it in hot water to set the dye, if possible. If you can get retayne, use it. I prewashed some dark colors for a queen size quilt I made my daughter, but I washed them in cold water, and thought they would be o.k. I didn't know about retayne then. Well after the quilt was finished and was washed for the first time some of the dark green faded. I am still working to try and get the excess dye out. It is slowly but surely coming out with some dry powder I bought at Hancock's. Goog luck. Gerbie
Old 05-03-2010, 02:30 PM

I have a large tub Kenmore Washer/dryer. I just washed 6 yards of 108" fabric!!! No problems!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
When I buy yardage, I sew the cut ends together. Stick it in the washer so the "hole" goes around the agitator. Helps to keep it from twisting too much. You have LOTS of fab but if you sew it together, it will be easier to manage.
Why didn't I think of that! Very good idea....

Ditter
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

I would take it to the commercial washer and leave it for the day for them to wash. Ours will even iron it for you so it is ready to go, small price to pay to eliminate the hassle :)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Oh my.. having someone else iron all that fabric does sound tempting.. humm. may look into that..

I'll look for Retayne too.. sounds like something I should have on my laundry shelf!

My mom used to have a Mangle.. that thing was probably dangerous, but oh man could you iron big things easily.. That's probably what they use in commercial operations.

Thanks for more good input.. I'm going to use it all.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Judie
I always wash my fabric before using it.. It comes from the car straight to the laundry room, after it's washed, dried and neatly folded it can go join the others waiting to be selected.

My question is how in the world do you wash 4 yards of 108" wide fabric? I don't want to cut it until I know [i]where[i/] it will need cut. I'm using it for a backing for a king sized quilt.

Do you machine dry that much? at home? or a commercial laundry with one of those huge dryers? How do you keep it from being one giant ball of wrinkles?
I use large safety pins to pin the selvage edges together AFTER I have accordian folded the piece into a comfortable size to handle. Pin through all the layers, about 2-3' apart. Wash, Shake it out holding on to the pinned edge, put in standard dryer, dry --I set mine for the extra cool-down option. Shake it out--it comes out smooth. I do not usually iron until I'm ready to use, and it often doesn't even need to be pressed. I did a 4 yard piece of 108" backing in my home washer --often add a bathtowel to help balance the load. This works for any size piece of fabric. No twists, and very few wrinkles.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 AM

I would use my clothes line to dry, but not everyone has one.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.. I did wash and dry my fabric today.. put it over the agitator... shook it out.. put it in the dryer.. took it out to keep it from getting too dry on the outside and not on the inside.. Worked just great.. It came out smooth, without wrinkles, and now it's ready to go on the back of a quilt that's been waiting!

I think a one of the reasons it came out so nice is that it's one of those very nice fabrics.. has body, is woven straight, and the dye is well set, so it doesn't bleed.. Over all I'm a happy quilter with a beautiful backing ready to go..

Thanks again for all your suggestions.. what a group!