Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HST Frustration >

HST Frustration

HST Frustration

Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM

Default HST Frustration

I've always had a hard time getting the points right when sewing together half square triangles. I recently completed a project that had lots of them. Some of the points came together very well, others not so much. I was trying to decide whether or not to try to correct them. Then I saw a photo in a quilt magazine of a very pretty quilt that was made with HST and right in the middle was one that was less than perfect. Well, that made my decision. If a published quilter can get away with it, so can I. I've decided I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

On the bright side, I'm getting better. I noticed that the last rows I sewed together were much better than the first.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Some of those points have minds of their own! LOL
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

sometimes being perfect is going against Nature. hst's can be frustrating but not too. do you trim your's down at all? If so you need to line up your 45 degree line on your ruler with the seam. That way they will be even and should match up well. seams can be difficult but pin, pin and then sew. good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Good for you. I don't think there would be a quilter anywhere who hasn't stressed over this.You are a smart lady to not sweat the small stuff.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Every time I see the HST quoted.... I cringe.... in B.C. (Canada) we have the Harmonized Sales Tax to think about
Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

What is the Harmonized Sales Tax?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What is the Harmonized Sales Tax?
It's the combination of Provincial and Federal Sales Tax.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

HST and QST are frustrating to get right. I believe the quilter has to work out a system that works best. I made two quilts that half are one type and half the other. I make the initial squares larger and cut down to size. This is the case when I got the correct size square ruler. Sometime I press the seams open and at other times to the side depending on how the piecing is done. To get quarter squares to match up in the center and on lines. I pin the centers down into a cork hot pad. This holds the centers while I line up the longer seams. This works for me and students are amazed how well they fit.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 AM

in answer to your problem i think ive found something to fix that you see i too had that problem and i was at a little quilt show last weekend and i purchased 2 ruler things called a triangle genie and a triangle genie jr. the lady was demonstrating them and it seemed fool proof. the regular sized one does up to 5 in size and the jr only does 2 1/2 in
size as my mom in law makes a lot of little quilts and we always share toys and fabric i bought it mostly for her. it came from a store called monarch quilts however theres a website listed on the back of www.timetoquilt.com . theres also a video on youtube showing the demo they really werent that expensive at least not if you count the frustration youll be missing out on. the small one was 14.00 and the larger one was 17.00 and you might find them cheaper i just saw them and thought theyd be awesome.
carla
Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I've always had a hard time getting the points right when sewing together half square triangles. I recently completed a project that had lots of them. Some of the points came together very well, others not so much. I was trying to decide whether or not to try to correct them. Then I saw a photo in a quilt magazine of a very pretty quilt that was made with HST and right in the middle was one that was less than perfect. Well, that made my decision. If a published quilter can get away with it, so can I. I've decided I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

On the bright side, I'm getting better. I noticed that the last rows I sewed together were much better than the first.

Usually if you put a pin thru the joint of your first HST then carefully put the pin thru the second HST and carefully pin the two pieces together, you'll have accurate joints.