Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hubby just bought me a Husqvarna Diamond Royale >

Hubby just bought me a Husqvarna Diamond Royale

Hubby just bought me a Husqvarna Diamond Royale

Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
He knew I was looking at sewing/embroidery machines & I was at first looking at the Ruby Royale & when he came with me (to carry my trade in machine which weighs a ton) he really liked the Diamond Royale & after trying it, I had to agree so we came home with the Diamond Royale. It was my Mother's Day, Anniversary & birthday gift all rolled into 1 (for the next 10 years, at the price they are here in Canada LOL). I DO NOT need his permission but it's nice to know he supports my hobby wholeheartedly.

Bravo!!! My husband is just like yours when it comes to my sewing/quilting or whatever hobby I have.
Just the other day, my headphones died. I play computer games to relax in the evenings. He said buy a "good" pair this time not those cheapie things (last pair cost 30 bucks). So I ended up with a really nice pair for $100.00. They arrive today via UPS.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dc989 View Post
DH loved HQ chain saws and log equipment, so he always thought a HQ sewing machine was A-Okay. Never had one, but several friends did and they never seemed to have problems with them.

Re. the comment on her husband making the purchase, my DH and I always consult on big purchases. It saves us both from making costly impulse purchases which may not be wise. Also a good excuse to use on pushy sales people. LOL Besides he's my best friend, is smart and has good advise and also is always excited for me to get something I love. We make a good team.
Bwa ha ha ha! I use that as an excuse to get away from pushy sales people, too! My DH hates to shop, so I do the legwork for expensive purchases (over $1000): by the time I've made my decision, he usually just says "Buy it!" (did I mention he hates to shop? ).

We make a good team, too!

I have a Husqvarna Sapphire 875Q which I dearly love. I've considered an embroidery machine a couple of times when they were on sale but really can't justify the cost.

Callen, enjoy your new toy. I've seen some absolutely beautiful quilts with embroidery.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:37 AM

I had the HQ DDD (Designer Diamond Deluxe) and upgraded to the DDR (Designer Diamond Royale). I love the big new screen. Another feature I really love is the FMQ. I quilted a queen size quilt on it, all feathers. OK, it was my first and a learning experience with the DDR as well. Being so bulky and big, occasionally the screen would get tapped with the bulk of the quilt, which would change a setting, and my dealer told me about the lock screen feature! That is really a plus when you FMQ. As far as embroidery, it is one amazing machine and you will have so much fun creating. I was still working when I got my very first embroidery machine, a Pfaff 2170, and I would find myself staying up way too late, and to work next day. Glad am retired now!! Congrats and you might also want to consider joining the yahoo group, Viking Gems. It is also a plus you have a supportive dealer.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
One thing I did when I got a new machine was to create a stitch diary. Once I was comfortable with threading and the bobbin winder, I went through and stitched out each stitch, and wrote the settings right on the fabric. It's a great way to get to know the stitches but also a way to get comfortable with the machine.
Mostly make sure to have fun with it!
That is exactly what I'm in the process of doing! It's fun to see all the different stitches.
Callen, have fun with your new baby!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Congratulation. Hope it works out well for you. Have fun.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You chose it and had to wait for your DH to buy it? I don't understand. Several guild members have this machine and they really like it. Have fun learning all about it.
I would never buy any expensive item without discussing it with my husband. I retired last year and made a lot more than he did. I am much more thrifty usually than he is. He talked me into the BL crescendo a couple of years ago. He is a bookkeeper and and knows what we can afford more than me.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

What a wonderful husband you have! Have fun with your new embroidery machine, and think loving thoughts of him every time you use it!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM

I don't have it but I have seen it, have fun! Lucky you.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:09 AM

I understand. My husband and I don't buy big items without talking it over and deciding if it's in the budget.
This is just the right thing to do in our home, he has an expensive hobby too. I said big money items. I don't want him to buy expensive car parts without talking it over and if he's with me when I buy he usually opts for the more expensive. Enjoy your new machine.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Very well put! The comment by OnebyOne is total uncalled for. It is only common courtesy to discuss such a purchase. Let's not "rain on someone's parade".

Callen, you made a great purchase. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
As hard as it may be for some to believe - there are some one-income families still around.

Also, there may be other household priorities -