Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Huck Toweling >

Huck Toweling

Huck Toweling

Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM

I do both Swedish Weaving and Huck Embroidery. Even though you can use some of the same patterns and the stitches are the same, they are really different. Huck is smaller and you use floss or perle cotton. Swedish is done on Monks Cloth-Larger floats- and usually done with yarn. Pique is one of the different material that can be used but the squares aren't really square so the pattern looks different. I have made hundreds of throws, table runners, tissue holders, candle cozies, etc. I find it to be a very relaxing craft. I'll post some pictures in the next post.

Christmas Runners on Monks Cloth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135822[/ATTACH]

Huck Embroidery Towels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135823[/ATTACH]

Bibs I made for Great Granddaughter on Vintage Huck Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135824[/ATTACH]

This is a throw I made for DSIL Who is a train nut. Wall hanging in back is also Swedish Weave
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135825[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-135817.jpe   attachment-135818.jpe   attachment-135819.jpe   attachment-135820.jpe  
Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM

Parrothead, those are beautiful!!! I'd love to find someone close to me that could teach me how to do that. Such elegance.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:45 PM

I remember at about age 14 having a lovely dress with some pretty embroidery on it that my Grandma had made. It was some sort of crinkly fabric that didn't look like it had ever been ironed. The name of it escapes me now...darn, I HATE it when that happens.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM

I have some huck embroidered towels that I use today.. I love them.. they are beautiful and huck toweling drys dishes beautifully.. I also have books in my basement with patterns.. I haven't made any in a long long time.. I love doing them.

Monks cloth and huck toweling are quite different. Monks cloth is more of an even weave.. If you could see them side by side you'd easily see the difference. Either one make up beautifully, and are wonderful to have in the house..
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM

Featherweight, that is a beautiful Swedish weaving pattern and the colors are just gorgeous.
I am glad for this post as I was not sure of the difference between Swedish weaving and Huck embroidery. I have picked up several pieces at antique shops, etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Oh My gosh this brings back childhood memories. I learned hucking in 4H.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by nlgh
Featherweight, that is a beautiful Swedish weaving pattern and the colors are just gorgeous.
I am glad for this post as I was not sure of the difference between Swedish weaving and Huck embroidery. I have picked up several pieces at antique shops, etc.
Thank You so much. I did enjoy making this throw.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh boy, does this bring back memories...we were taught to do this weaving so many years ago by a grandmother...thanks for the memory booster.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
I Googled and found this.... I'll try to get a picture for you in a few...

Huck Toweling, an old-school Nordic weaving or embroidery technique that gained popularity in the 1940s, is making a comeback among young crafters.

Huck Toweling can refer to the fabric used for the craft, most often Monk's Cloth today, or the actual embroidery technique which is also sometimes called Huck Embroidery. The technique, traditionally used to embellish hand towels, curtains and other household fabrics, is a surface embroidery technique that requires "floating" floss. "Floating" yarn or floss means that the fibers are woven under the top layers of the fabric but don't penetrate the back or "wrong" side of the fabric.

Though this sounds like painstaking handwork, many advocates find the precision and detail of the small stitches something that relaxes them and allows them to lose themselves into the craft. Once you get into the rhythm of the stitching, projects can be completed quickly since the floss isn't going through the fabric completely.

Here is a how-to on the craft from eHow and a simple free pattern from Avery Hill that would look great on the edge of a towel for your first project.
Nowadays the huck towelling is different than years ago. In order to get the old-fashioned kind it's Popcorn Huck Towelling. (I have some of my mother's to finish that she gave me some 30 years ago--and I'm somewhat still young.) :)