Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HUGE thank you I'm now a FMQ >

HUGE thank you I'm now a FMQ

HUGE thank you I'm now a FMQ

Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 AM

Smile HUGE thank you I'm now a FMQ

I've been quilting for a few years but always English Paper piecing and hand quilting I thought I knew a bit about quilting until I found this forum, how wrong was I. I have a sewing machine so I figured I needed to branch out and use it to quilt. So I read and read tips here about FMQ, I didn't have a darning foot so I bought one of those, terrific. Ok didn't work, back I come to the board, read and read ok check tension, still not working. So, now I'm getting frustrated, so back I come to this forum, read some more, AHA!!!! someone says " remember to drop your foot lock" So off I go again this morning and YAAAAAAYYYYY there I was FMQ it's so exciting. Ok it's very odd to do and scrambles your brain for a while but I've just spent 2hrs on scraps practising and I'm loving it, ok off to practice some more. But I wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who contributes here this will always be my first port of call when I have quilting problems. FMQ ROCKS!!!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 AM

Congratulations !!!! It's really fun isn't it??? I loved it so much I went out and got myself a Handi Quilter 18" Avanta Long arm machine. Just could not handle doing a big quilt in a 6 3/4" throat space... (That's all I have on my old Bernina) Now, you have to sew all your samples together and show us. I used mine for hot pads and place mats on my table. When they get messed up I'll wash them... when they fall apart I'll toss them but in the meantime they are totally usable.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 AM

Aren't you glad you gave FMQ a try?!! A whole new world awaits you now! Be sure to post a pic of your new talent.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM

It is great fun maybe when I've practised more I'll post a pic at the moment it kind of looks like a spider has run over my fabric LOL. Having read on here the main thing is to practise, practise, practise.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

congrats! post some pics, please
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Glad to hear! It is much fun, but you are right, practice, practice, practice! Will look forward to photos of your progress.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

We all start at first base and how far we go is up to us. Hooray to you for trying. A whole new world has opened up to you so enjoy the amazing ride!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM

That is fantastic! I continue to practice fmq and enjoy doing it; but it still looks so tight and not relaxed. Eventually, I hope that I can get the stitches to look "normal". LOL at myself. Thank you for sharing and I hope you continue to have a great time exploring FMQ.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 AM

I am so happy for you!!! I too must go back and read and read and read over the tutes on FMQ and then i just jump in and do it.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 AM

Excellent - we have a saying in Speical Education "try another way" and you did and it was successful - bravo!