Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hugos' amazing tape >

Hugos' amazing tape

Hugos' amazing tape

Old 12-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Hugos' amazing tape

Has anyone tried this and is there a substitution I can DIY? It sounds great but it can be a little expensive.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

what does it do? never heard of it.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I bought this tape at a quilt show and having used it I'm not sure there is a DIY alternative. The stuff has a good amount of stretch to it and sticks to itself so it can be used over and over again. The only thing that comes to mind that may be similar in idea is cling wrap (the clear plastic food wrap). But cling wrap is much thinner, much more fragile and is sometimes hard to find the edge to take it off. Hugo's tape is none of these things. As far as being expensive, I bought my roll over 3 years ago and have hardly put a dent in it. Because you can continue to reuse it for a long time you can reuse pieces of it on newer spools once the old one is used up. Granted most of my thread is on the cone type spools used in longraming that have a locking ring on the bottom of the cone. But I use it for all my specialty threads that don't have a locking ring and it keeps my thread neat, tidy and still rolled on the spool.

for those not familiar it is a tape made to wrap around spools of thread so they don't unravel, at least that is how it was marketed at the show. But there are lots of uses for it.
https://www.amazingtape.com/
Old 12-12-2017, 11:16 AM

I haven't seen this product, but it sounds like what I've been using for years.
Most fabric stores have clear vinyl on rolls, in maybe four different thicknesses.
I bought the smallest amount I could which was 8" by the width of the roll, I think it was the #2 weight.
From that width I cut strips the size of the thread, 2" or whatever.
pull it through my fingers a few times to warm it up, wrap it around the thread, and it sticks.

for a dollar or so I've been protecting my thread for at least 10 years or more.
It gets kind of stiffish if it has been on the thread for awhile, just run it through your fingers, back to new.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

I go to Walmart & buy a yard or so of the medium weight clear plastic table covering. Then I just cut it into 1.5 and 2" strips. Use it for my embroidery threads Works great & have reused it for years.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

oh sort of like cling wrap.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I use the tape used for scrapbooking. Works great and a lot cheaper. I can't remember the name other then it starts with a W
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM

I use it all the time. You can cut the one inch strip in half. My roll is probably 3 years old and still going.

Nice to use for holding thread spool ends, wrapping paper, embroidery threads, etc. Love it!
Old 12-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I got some to wrap around the bottom of our sliding shower head so it would stop sliding! (Button that is supposed to hold head in place no longer works.) I like it because it is barely visible. I do think it stretches more than the purchased vinyl yardage, and it may be slightly easier to see the edge. I still have a lot of a roll left.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:21 PM

It is pretty great, use it all the time.