Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Husqvarna bobbins

Husqvarna bobbins

I have a question regarding Husqvarna bobbins - the ones for a Ruby - are you restricted to using their name brand ones or is there a generic version that will fit? I know my Janome and my Elna use regular class 15s but the Husqvarna and Pfaff machines have a type embossed with their name and can only be put in one way. This apparently prevents one from inserting the bobbin incorrectly.
    Thoughts???
    TIA

I tried using a generic bobbin on my Viking designer 1 and had nothing but trouble. Went back the the Husqvarna branded ones and no more issues.

Blog Entries
    if they are the green plastic ones, you need to stick with those.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I always use the green plastic ones like those that came with my Ruby.

I only use the green Husqvarna bobbins if I am winding my own bobbins but I also use prewound plastic bobbins that work just fine.

Blog Entries
    My Viking rep at Joann's warns against using other bobbins. I think the Vikings are larger than standard bobbins and are designed to fit in the bobbin case specifically on your machine. Others would be too loose in the case. My only problem with the bobbins are the color. In the bobbin box with the green and the other colored bobbin it is often difficult to see what color the thread actually is.

Blog Entries
    I have a Sapphire and I only use the green ones or the clear ones that are for Viking..(They have the "H" on them) Joanne's has the clear ones here in Illinois.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've only used the green ones made for Viking. Have no issues. Got a few of them as part of the machine purchase. I also got a book full of coupons for needles/bobbins/etc. at the time of purchase from my dealer. Stocked up on those goodies while the coupons lasted. I have plenty of those bobbins now. The bobbin box I purchased from JoAnn's has the bobbins sitting on edge so it's easy to see what color thread is loaded.

Blog Entries
    I have used the prewound bobbins but my machine only likes the prewound bobbins with the plastic sides. I have a diamond.

I have used the rewound bobbins with the cardboard sides in my ruby when embroidering with no trouble

Meant prewound sorry, predictive text on iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by mgause View Post
    I tried using a generic bobbin on my Viking designer 1 and had nothing but trouble. Went back the the Husqvarna branded ones and no more issues.
    Never used generic...always buy the brand name........not worth the risk of causing major ($) damage....

use their brands only.

Blog Entries
    I bought some (Dritz?) generic green plastic bobbins at Hancock that said they would work in my Viking. Seems like some of them do and some of them don't. When I have a problem my first correction is to put in a Viking bobbin. Usually does the trick. Worth the money to try. The Viking ones are ridiculously expensive! Come on, it's only little bits of plastic! I really dislike being stuck with an expensive name brand.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I have always used the green bobbins that came with my"Husky". Purchased more at a higher price than generic bobbins, but had no problems with the green ones. Don't think I will try the generic ones. That might be asking for trouble.

I have a D1 and a DIamond. I use the green ones, and there are also multi-colored ones available. But I do use pre-wound (both plastic and cardboard sided) almost all the time. Only use "colored" bobbins when I need to match bobbin thread. I bought a gross of white and black pre-wound and haven't had to buy more! I think the problem is when you are using bobbins that don't fit, but I haven't had an issue unless I try to use the clear ones for the little Janome, then they don't work!!

My Lily 540 has blue bobbins and if I use them in the Sapphire 870Q instead of the green ones, the thread low warning on the bobbin doesn't work.

I only use the clear with the H on them. I have an older viking and have not seen the green ones.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

The machine I bought came with 11 and the dealer had a 20% all things Husqvarna/Pfaff so I stocked up on some. The multi colour packs (of 20) ended up being cheaper per bobbin than the green pack (of 10).
    Not to include I got a few other things too. Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks for the advice , I think I'll stick to the official ones.

Blog Entries
    You have to use the ones made for the machine but they do have other colors besides green. You also can't wind them on a sidewinder because they wind in the wrong direction that the machine does. You can tell if you have them in right because the words stamped on them will be facing upwards.
    Judy

Judy,
    Thanks for that bit of info re sidewinder. Didn't know that.