Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I almost hesitate to ask.... (Dear Jane) >

I almost hesitate to ask.... (Dear Jane)

I almost hesitate to ask.... (Dear Jane)

Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Here is the link to "That Quilt". I did 6 blocks with their instructions and they worked great. The site don't have the patterns, so you need the book, but it helps a lot. I got bored and turned them into a small wallhanging, but may start again when I am done with school.

http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/2009/01/1.html
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
. I'm not looking to plow right through it, was thinking maybe a block a week or something, which I guess puts me on a 4+ year plan... :shock:
I'm on the 10+ year plan. :mrgreen: So far.

Oh, just jump in and start. ;-) For some reason, this UFO doesn't weigh on me the way others do. I actually think the finished DJ's are in the minority of all those that have been started over the last decade. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 AM

the rulers i mentioned is actually called dear jane tools. it contains 2 clear templates type things for helping you to cut the squares and triangles. it is by brenda papadakis who authored the book as well. do a search on ebay and you will see them. i don't know that you would have to have them but it may make it easier to do the blocks.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Connie and Maria - Thank you, thank you for the web site. I have her book and have been looking at it __BUT did not realize it was paper pieced. I love it -- I am going to definitely start it this week. You both are wonderful!!!!!

Carole
Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

The book is useful if all you want is pictures of the blocks. I found the writing, in which the author "talks" to Jane Stickel, to be rather tedious and silly, but a friend of mine thought it was interesting. I checked the book out of the library and decided I didn't want to buy it. However I did buy the Dear Jane software from EQ. I think it is much more useful than the book. You can experiment with different color schemes, settings, etc. You can print out foundation patterns - do just about anything you do with EQ software in general.

Some of the blocks are more easily made if they are paper pieced, but others use traditional piecing or applique. There's something for (almost) everyone.

Now with all that - you would think I had started my DJ quilt. I have not. But I will one of these days...

Several on this board have made a DJ, and there have been groups making them together. The one that impresses me, because (1) it's absolutely gorgeous and (2) it was made and quilted by hand in less than seven months is the one that lacelady made - here - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55808-1.htm
Old 08-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Well, it sounds like I'll be in good company, if/when I decide to start!

I am such an enthusiastic starter, the problem is that I get so enthusiastic, quilting would take over my life if I let it. I really need to get homeschooling underway, and get through a few events we have coming up this fall, before I take the plunge.

Not only that, but I'm stuck on figuring out what color/fabrics I want to use, as silly as that may sound! I'm often a scrappy kind of person, but it might be fun to do something different- but, on the other hand, do I really want to buy a whole lot of little bits of fabric for this- and if so, WHAT?? I've seen the batik Jane's, 30's Janes, rainbow Janes, etc. They're all really lovely but I'm having a hard time settling on what I want to do. I figure if I'm making this big of a commitment, I want to be darn sure I'm going to like what I've made! lol
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
there is a dear jane site that does have the bow on it. I did mine like that - made it much easier for me. Kept it up after I did the quilt and made placemats ant table runner.
I'm not familiar- what is the "bow"?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Here is the link to "That Quilt". I did 6 blocks with their instructions and they worked great. The site don't have the patterns, so you need the book, but it helps a lot. I got bored and turned them into a small wallhanging, but may start again when I am done with school.

http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/2009/01/1.html
Thanks for the link! Looks very helpful.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 AM

I haven't started, yet, but if you go to this section of the forum you will get lots of information:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1009

Of the Dear Jane's, that I've seen finished, I am very impressed!!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Originally Posted by Fabaddict
there is a dear jane site that does have the bow on it. I did mine like that - made it much easier for me. Kept it up after I did the quilt and made placemats ant table runner.
I'm not familiar- what is the "bow"?
I was wondering about this too.