Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes >

I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes

I am about 2 seconds from going back to sewing doll clothes

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM

SID is awful stuff. Especially if you have small areas that you want to SID... SO hard to twist and turn and twist and turn the quilt.

I rarely SID because it is too hard on my body. I do cross hatching and that would be easier on you because you sound like you have all the right ideas. And I practiced my FMQ until I thought I'd crack up but I can do a quilt now. As soon as you feel the quilt start to resist the movement, stop with your needle down and reposition the quilt in your lap. I free motion a section about 16' square and reposition, you'd be amazed at how quickly it goes.

Good Luck and keep smiling! I too make doll clothes for AG Dolls and love it. I spend about a week each month making clothes! That way it gives me a break from bigger projects. It relaxes me.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 AM

At least you are trying! I want to try it but I have been putting it off. And everyone says it gets easier, the more you do it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 AM

Why not try smaller practice pieces....doll quilts, place mats, hot pads, table runners. Gradually ease up. Or hand quilt, maybe.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 AM

Well, I hand quilted one. It was a queen. It
took me a year but I love it. I send them
out now. We have a quilting machine
And frame but have not has time to
Learn how to use it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 AM

I hear you. I quilted a couple of twin size quilts on my machine, stitch in the ditch also. they came out ok but it w as a hassel. that's why I would rat her hand quilt. It might take longer but I can turn the quilt any which way and it is much easier for me to do. My daughter gets upset with me. She wants me to use the machine but I still prefer to hand quilt.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 AM

its like labor pains once its over and you see what you have you know its worth it, and the bad memory fades, the quilt looks great!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:31 AM

Congratulations on your first quilt and on your determination to finish it! I know you said you have a large workspace, but, I'm not sure exactly what your setup is. It helps if you have a U shaped space set up (with you sitting in the middle of the U) and cover every surface with clear plastic vinyl. This gives you more surface on either side of you to help with the weight of the quilt and the vinyl makes the quilt slide easier with less tugging. You can use your ironing board or a folding table, anything to hold the weight.

Also, if you decide to try FMQ, I would recommend that you turn your sewing machine sideways to quilt which gives you more space for your right hand. Here is a link to the setup I use and I just finished a quilt that was 106" square. There are others on here that also turn their machines sideways.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52581-1.htm

Also, here is a link to a tutorial for thread basting. I tried this on a quilt top that is ready for quilting now and I LOVE it. I was up off the floor, didn't have pin sticks and the quilt sandwich lays so much flatter.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-91013-1.htm

Most of all, don't give up. The first quilt I did took me FOREVER to hand stitch the binding down. I absolutely hated that part and figured I always would. I have only done a few more since and binding the 106" quilt only took about 7 or 8 hours total. Of course that was because I learned how to do a ladder stitch...also on this board. Here is the link.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40083-1.htm

Your quilt is beautiful and you are doing great! Just keep on keeping on and learn all you can from this site. Everyone here is great and if you have any questions, you will get quick responses and lots of them.

Happy quilting!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
LOL! Yes, it's always like that. Quilt over shoulder, in lap, puddling on floor. But, it's like birthing a baby. While you're in labor you swear you'll never do it again, but after the trauma and you admire your lovely baby, you can't wait to get started on another one!
Oh my gosh what CindyBee said is so true, Thats exactly how you feel!!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 AM

I can't tell for sure, but if that quilt is a pieced top, you have already done the frosting, believe me. It looks fairly intricate and no piece of "cake". The first quilt I ever did was a double/queen and I felt like you and I vowed never to attack another large quilt and mostly I do smaller things, but the year before, I did two large quilts, the flannel was so bulky and heavy I had to tie it, but the batik I machine quilted with minimal stress. It is always something I dread but also look forward to. Go Figure!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Every time I see someone say, "It's just stitch in the ditch," I think, "There's no "just" about it - stitching in the ditch is HARD!!!!"

I'd rather take a beating than try to stitch in the ditch - I only do it when I absolutely have to. With all that quilt pulling and tugging against you, your stitching wanders around all over in the vicinity of the ditch. Keeping it straight is insanity.

Yes, you'll feel like you're wrestling a grizzly for a while. And dealing with a large quilt on a domestic machine might never become a walk in the park, exactly, but it does get easier. Instead of trying to sew straight lines, use a serpentine or rippling stitch to wander back and forth across the seam - that's what it wants to do anyway, so make it look intentional. ;)

The only time you can't get away with that is when you really need that straight line - to stabilize borders before FMQ, for instance. Then, you just have to bite the bullet and sweat it out.

Good luck - I feel for you!
i don't sid.. i mad.....meander around the ditch... non of the reciepents had complained either !