Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I am becoming a serious quilt hoarder

Welcome! I'm glad I'm not alone! :lol:

I think it's good to have more than one of anything (sewing related). lol.

Blog Entries
    Oh ditto here as well. I have two gingher embroidery scissor, duplicate rulers, patterns, etc. Sometimes it is easier to buy new than to try and find what I can't remember if I have :-)

Do the same thing purchase fabric, then repurchase it 3 or 4 months later. Quilt books I think I must have 7 or 8 duplicates. I do believe that I have 5 sets of the tri-rec rulers. I could go on and on but then I would have to go thru my sewing room and would find a whole lote more. The nice thing about this is that someday you won't needd anything///

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bev195000
    Indeed i have had to purchase 2 more mini storage boxes to add all the small items i have purchased over the months gone by. Everything new has to have a place to go ,
    that is part of your problem...you put inside of boxes and then you never see it....out of sight out of mind!

peg board to hang things on would be better..IF you have to use storage containers, for what ever reason, then you really need to label the boxes/drawers and then open them and take a pix of it..keep a photo journal of what you have...

also, keep an index card in your purse/wallet with the normal things on it., 45mm blades-qty on hand-XXX, 8" scissors- qty on hand-XXXX, quilting needles-qty on hand-XXX, etc, etc....
    make a list of the needles you really do need, different sizes, microtex, denim, etc and start looking to buy more specialty items if you feel the need to buy something!

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    But at least we don't run out of stuff...

Its so good to know i am not the only one who buys and buys quilt items i thought i was going crazzzzyyyyy lol
    I best stay away from ebay as the bargains of quilt items for sale are so irresistible i have to buy buy buy lol

Oh Boy is guess I'm just cheap. I still have my first pair of Ginger scissors from 10 years ago. I just keep having them sharpened when they need it. No one is aloud to touch them. But I do have 3 pair of embrodery scissors. No duplicates on rulers.

Blog Entries
    Well at least it keeps us off the streets and out of the bars, (wait I'm thinking about the bar)I have sooooo much stuff I'm ready to punch me. My hubs and i spent the day cleaning up the basement and getting rid of our kids stuff, they left but forgot to take their stuff with. I couldn't find my huge sewing table, it was soooo buried. Now I can see it and use when my sewing machine comes back from the maintenance dr.

I used to buy the same magazines twice. One of the other nurses I worked with loved my mistakes, as I would always bring the duplicate to her! I am guilty of being a needle, scissor and gaget collector. Take that back, I am guilty of overbuying everything. But, always ready and have what anyone needs.

Do a swap with other quilters! Each time I have things I don't (extra), need - I get ahold of my quilt buddies & we get together with our extra stuff (sometimes they bring extra blocks, etc), and we swap. Easy way to get rid of extra stuff (that would take years to use), easy way to enjoy an afternoon and an easy way to clean up extras in each of our sewing rooms.

I took an inventory of all my templates and my sewing machines feet. I printed them & keep a copy in my purse. That has prevented me from buying duplicates on several ocassions.

You can never be to prepared, for anything!!!!!

Blog Entries
    BEEN THERE-I took my excess-oops I meant to say extra notions and etc etc and made up a Starter Kit for a young girl in my neighborhood and the smile and hugs were the best Now she is a really good seamstressand quilter

I don't have the problem with buying those things. My problem
    is fabric. I see new and it is pretty and have to have some.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Well, you can either make some money by selling what you don't need OR you have a few things to share with your quilting friends OR you can donate the items to community service groups that do quilting OR you can put the items in easy reach and cut/sew till they are dull and used up. Don't ya love options? lol
    Good ideas! Every one!

Blog Entries
    The way I justify this "hording" is that I have sewing areas on three levels of my home, plus my travel supplies, plus classroom supplies for my 4-H students. Trouble is, as a project gets moved to a different location, so do associated tools. Then I have migrating supplies. I blame it on the geese.

Youre just stocked up, lol. Nothing wrong with that!

I dont have many duplicates as I have only been quilting for about a year. You guys have a lot of great suggestions. I have all my notions out where I can see them. This makes me use them more often as well.

I do find myself buying some things in multiples. I guess I overestimate on what I acually need such as threads. I have a large extra stash.

I understand just where your coming from, thus I am now try to organize all of my sewing supplies. I keep finding more and more, so right now I am putting like items in boxes just to figure out what all I have :D

I try and buy on sale and stay stocked up also.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I am invited to clean out a women's sewing room of her material and quilts, and maybe finish some she started, I need
    help to hold back from hoarding, oh my, I am bringing my
    husband, but he is a hoarder too, I think I'm going to be in
    trouble.

Oh no i couldn't bear to part with any of it you never know when it will all come in handy lol

Banned
    Oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    I found five packages of rotary blades with five in each package. Every time I went to Joann's with a 50 % off coupon, I stocked up not realizing how many I had. Now, I'm so glad I found them and while start changing my blade when I need to.
    I still have 10 blades that I have not used yet but they were reasonably priced so I bought 12 and gave my daughter 2 to start her quilting. I keep buying cottons and needles every time I go to my LQS for when I don't have the money when they are needed. I am getting up a small collection now too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast