Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I do both!

I would say 90% of my stuff I do from start to finish.

I sent out a quilt to Charismah before Christmas -- it was very special. It was a mix of my nephew's turtle stuff and some of my old turtle shirts, and a hodge-podge of turtle fabrics and scraps from projects from that year. (2009) The top sat on my shelf for almost a year because I knew I didn't have the ability to quilt it the way I wanted it to look and not ruin the shirts/bibs/towels etc that were in the top.

Charismah did a WONDERFUL job, and it was super reasonably priced.

I just sent her two more -- one that a customer ordered from me in september, but when i got sick she was the first one to tell me to take care of myself above all else. I want her quilt to be better than I can do on my own. She's been awesome to me.

The second one I just didn't know what to do with it. She will make it special.

I have one more that I might send her when I get it put together - it's for my mom (who's more special than mom?!?)

But I have since quilted two quilts on my own.

It works both ways for me.

=)

the special turtle top -- quilted by charismah -- i still need to put the binding on...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163028[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163023.jpe  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM

I do my own quilting.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

I hand piece and hand quilt my own quilts. Besides not being able to afford for someone else to do it for me, it's relaxing for me. I'm in no big hurry to finish the quilt, so I just enjoy the process.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM

I do both. Some times it depends on what I can do at the moment and it is way to hard for me to machine quilt a queen or king size, unless I do one of 4 quilt-as-you-go methods. However, there are definitely times I send out to be quilted and I have to admit that I really, really, really enjoy those quilts since I don't have a long arm to use. I don't mind binding so I just have them quilted and bind myself.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM

I like to do my own quilts, from start to finish. Just enjoy the whole process, & being able to tell someone I did it all myself. I kept after my hubby for a quilt frame, a floor frame that is. Finally got one about a year ago & love it. We have a small house, so it set up in crib size, but that's okay, I don't do many large bed quilts, & if I want to, I can do it in sections, then sew them together. It is so much nicer quilting on a frame too, love it! I can still do little ones on my Janome machine, but have a Viking Sapphire 830 on a Grace Mini Pinn frame now, & love it all!

I also couldn't keep buying much fabric if I paid someone else to do the quilting, so this works better for me too, lol....
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Is it expensieve to have them done on a Long arm quilter?
And how do you find someone who has the LAQ?
I paid $150.00 (for hand quilting) done on a double bed size bed.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

i quilt all of my quilt big or small i cut out all my blocks and pieces then set them togeather and then go at.i enjoy doing all of the work that goes in to quilting it relax me
louise from arki
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

love it
Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM

I do all my own hand quilting. That is one of the most rewarding parts of quilting for me. I also, don't make lots and lots of quilts. Sure, I have dreams for many but since I want to hand quilt I just work on one or two at a time.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM

I did my last one because I was giving it away and got into a time crunch, plus the last one I sent out was really expensive. I guess I am getting cheap in my old age. :oops: :oops: :oops: