Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM

I do all of my quilts myself...but I also quilt for others as a business. I got my LA 9 months after I started piecing quilts (that was 3 years ago)...it is so much fun to love my work!! Did 4 placemats on my DSM and KNEW that wasn't going to happen again!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1barron
Originally Posted by tuesy
Well, I've done little ones and big ones and even though the big ones aren't the most professional looking, I can say I did it from start to finish.
I'd love to send this one ugly annoying quilt of mine out to have done, but I didn't realize the back needs to be bigger than the front when on a frame.. and guess who doesn't have any more fabric.. :lol: and then there is the cost.. although it's not a big quilt, it's still money that needs to be paid out, plus the postage x 2, so I just muddle with them all myself... until I can get my own machine.
Ooh and if you're wondering about the ugly annoying quilt that I spoke of.. well it's back in the bag, in a drawer so I don't have to look at it. Out of sight, out of mind!! :lol:
Most LA quilters need an extra 8 inches on both top and sides because of how the quilt goes in the frame and the quilting that is done. However, if you are not picky, just add fabric that you do have to the backing to get your size that you need. Just try to make it as few seams as possible.

Gotcha! Totally makes sense.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM

I have machine quilted one twin quilt on my machine. It was a real struggle for me. I have hand quilted quilts form baby to King. I had one twin done by a LAQ. I asked for quilting that was no closer than one inch apart. It came back stiff with quilting. I am presently looking into several of the LAQ on the board to quilt 3 tops that I need quilted. I do have a friend that would let me use her long arm if I was interested, which I have done once.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by grandma h
Is this name someone you can pass along to someone needing quilt tops done???Have been tying for many years and would like a more finished look...I live in southeast Mi. so would be convenient ...thanks l
There is a list of longarm quilters on the board: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62268-1.htm. I'm sure any of the long arm quilters would be happy to talk to you via private message or phone call.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Faiwee
I have machine quilted one twin quilt on my machine. It was a real struggle for me. I have hand quilted quilts form baby to King. I had one twin done by a LAQ. I asked for quilting that was no closer than one inch apart. It came back stiff with quilting. I am presently looking into several of the LAQ on the board to quilt 3 tops that I need quilted. I do have a friend that would let me use her long arm if I was interested, which I have done once.
Batting will make a difference on the stiffness. I've seen 'fluffy' poly batting, quilted lightly, still come out stiff. I've also seen wool batting, quilted heavily, come out really soft.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

I quilt my own, either on my tabletop or on my floor frame with a mid-arm. I enjoy the quilting part more than the piecing part of the process.
I also frame quilt for others.
I get into zen mode when freemotion quilting feathers or swirls, the hours fly by.
As long as I remember to take breaks so my shoulders don't creep up to my ears!!! LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
I hand-quilt my own.I had one customer that wanted me to make the quilt top and then she took it to the only fabric shop in town to have them long arm quilt it. Then she had a fit when she picked up the quilt and there was no binding and it wasn't completed.So she brought it back to me thinking I would do it free.
She paid me $75 for the quilt top,$25 for binding and finishing, and paid the fabric shop $150 for the quilting pattern that she picked out. This was a full sized quilt. So I would not be able to make any money sending my quilts out to be quilted,besides I enjoy hand quilting. In defense of the quilt shop she writes everything down on a order pad.The customer requested that she wanted quilting only, and she signed it. So if you do make quilts to sell, make sure to write everything down,even cutting a little square of the fabrics and attaching them to the order pad.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
I just wonder if more people send there quilts out than those that quilt themselves! I just can't send mine out, but I maybe I am missing something! So I am curious as to why!
I enjoy hand-quilting.It relaxes me,it might not be that way for others but it is for me.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 PM

I quilt my own so for by machine , but I'm going to start hand quilting at night though . I can't afford to send them out, and I like knowing I did them all my self. :D
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM

I quilt my own wall hangings and table toppers. Larger ones I have a friend quilt on her long arm. I earn "quilting bucks" by watching her 2 dogs whenever she needs me to. It's a great system and she does AMAZING work!