Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why >

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

I am curious, do you quilt yr own or send it out? Why

Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 AM

I do my own...I do a lot of scrappy quilts for charity and can't afford to have someone quilt them. In the last quilt show here in Hattiesburg some many of the quilts were quilted by someone other than the person that made the top.
I have a machine and she and I have lots of fun!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 AM

I do both--I quilt my charity (small) quilts and any that are twin size or less. Anything bigger or anything I want more than SID (with pretty stitch, however)I send out. Most go to a local lady who has 3/4 day turn around and does nice work although it is all pantograph. If I want custom/specialized quilting done I have 2 other LAQ that I call upon. Have to be willing to give them 3 months to get them done! I have 6 in a suitcase now waiting to go to the LAQ. I did try FMQ and I've tried Flynn's frame and decided that machine quilting was not where my talent lay!:>
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM

I do all my own by hand mostly, I just want it to be all my work . I'm not really crazy about machine quilting. I love to snuggle under a quilt while I'm quilting it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 AM

I do all my own quilting on my domestic Juki. I acutually find the quilting to be relaxing and I can't afford to send them out.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM

I have always quilted my own either by hand or machine, sometimes a combination of both. I use a Viking Mega Quilter and have done as large as a queen size. Designing the quilting is as much fun as designing the quilt itself.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 AM

I quilt my own -- big ones by hand and little ones by hand or machine -- the cost is the issue -- quilting them myself and buying fabric and batting on sale keeps the cost of a quilt reasonable -- my quilts are for my use most of the time, so... and also I enjoy hand quilting
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM

I used to have a long arm but with the last move didn't have room for it. What I did learn from that period was how nice it was to be able to see a larger view of the quilt while quilting. Now I quilt lap or smaller on my machine and send the larger ones out to one of the best LA's in Central Oregon. Or...if I want something really special that she can do on her long arm for a smaller quilt. I am a prolific quilter who is still working so have to manage my quilting time. I would love to hand quilt but would be drowning in tops! lol
Anna
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM

I do all of mine myself although I haven't quilted a queen or king, yet. Sometimes I'll turn it into a "quilt as you go" and quilt smaller sections and then put it together. Can't afford to send out yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM

I don't feel that its mine unless I do it all!
Silly I know...but just me.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM

I have sent a couple out to a LA quilter, but otherwise do all my own quilting either by hand or on my Bernina. Just finished a large wedding quilt for our granddaughter and I did it in two halves, then put it together. I've done others in sections and it works well. I must admit, though, that I have about 7 quilt tops waiting in the wings! It is SO much easier to start something new than it is to finish something, but oh, how satisfying when you do finish a project!!