Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am sooo confused about a new sewing machine >

I am sooo confused about a new sewing machine

I am sooo confused about a new sewing machine

Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

So you have a local dealer for Pfaff. They may have some used machines that are priced right.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

The very best thing before leaping in is to sit down and "have a play"....Machines are such a personal thing, what works for one, doesn't for another.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM

First I would find out which Dealers are in your area. A local Dealer that can help you if you have a problem or just answer questions is invaluable. And a Dealer will be servicing your machine, so another reason to find out what is within your reach. Visit them and talk to them about what you think you want. They may have some terrific trade-ins for sale. I had a Bernina Activa 140 & found a second one on Ebay for under $350. Bought it, took it to my Dealer & they were impressed with what I got so cheap. So I had 2 of those beauties. They have numerous decorative stitches and do all I would want except for the self threading. I then went to my Dealer later & bought a 240. All the feet can be used on each machine. That was a good thing. I have the 140's set aside to pass down to my grandgirlies. So take your time and do some research. Then see what is local to you. Test drive.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM

I would also suggest keeping an eye open for an older Pfaff. I just recently found an immaculate, one owner 1475CD, complete with everything, on our local Craigslist for $400. These machines are still sought after by Pfaff enthusiasts and you would eaily be able to get your money back if you ever decided to sell.

The Pfaff IDT system is wonderful for quilting and you would have to spend way more to get the same features in a new machine.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I have 2 Juki TL 98QE machine - straight stitch only, comes with Walking foot, Darning foot - for FMQ Straight stitch foot and a compensating foot for a perfect 1/4" seam. It has a large throat and can easily quilt a queen size. I paid 699.00 Last one included freight, 1st one didn't. I saw them somewhere on internet for 649.00 including freight. I wouldn't buy a used machine, unless I got a good warranty. I have looked at all the fancy machines and the throats are too small to do a queen size quilt. Just rying to give you more to think about.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM

I love my memory craft 4000. It is about 10 yrs old so you probably won't find one, but Memory Craft/Janome have some nicer low end computerized models in your price range so says a search I just did. You may have to buy your darning and walking foot and 1/4 inch foot separate but you can do that over time easily enough. The Janome DC2010 is a computerized machine with plenty of stitches, speed control on the machine (nice when just learning FMQ and for children just learning to use a machine), needle up/down position and feed dogs that drop. I like computerized machines because I think they are quieter. What you need to decide is what is most important to you. I seldom use the fancy stitches but I like to have that option. Is that really important to you??
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 PM

I think you need to figure out what you will use your machine for. My machine was purchased long before I ever thought about quilting and my needs were different. Fortunately, I bought a Pfaff 7570 which has the built in walking foot (IDT) and is wonderful for piecing. I haven't done a lot of "quilting" on it but have done a lot of other free motion type work and absolutely love it.

I bought my daughter a Janome DC2010 and it sews pretty well. I got to use it for something other than a quick test drive last week. It is pretty sweet for a machine that can be found for under $400 US.

I still prefer my Pfaff but could see myself wanting the Janome for a backup.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 AM

Thank you all for the good advice. The one occuring theme is TEST DRIVE; so guess that is what I should do. The nearest large cities that would have many stores to go to would be Tulsa, OK. Need to call around and see who will let me 'test' out some machines, and if they have good clean used ones for sale. I will definetly check into the Pfaff IDT system. I will need to save up, even for a used machine, so I have time to look around. Thank you all,
Jack
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Checked out the pfaff IDT system, that looks like it is very helpful in keeping the material going straight. Found a nice pfaff on Craigslist for $500, but it's a bad time right now so will have to let it pass. As I agree with many, I just need to test drive and maybe I can find a good used one at a sewing store. I thought I'd made up my mind to go with Janome, but now the pfaff is looking mighty fine :? :?:
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by koipuddle
looking at ones I can move around the house to sew on, and would actually like to be able to do the quilting of the top on afer getting it made. Jack
If you are looking at a machine that is both suitable for piecing, quilting and moving around the house maybe look for a used Juki. It will give you the throat space. It is not a small very movable machine but for around the house it will do. I think it only has straight stitch, so tha tmight be limiting if you use the machine for other things like regual sewing. If size is a big factor I would look at a Janome Gem but there is practically no quilting space. If you need something that does it all maybe a Janome 6500 or 6600 used or bit the bullet and get it new?