Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am wondering how hard it would be to make this quilt? My 2 Baby Sisters

I am wondering how hard it would be to make this quilt? My 2 Baby Sisters

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/5785.htm#

I've seen this quilt a few times and it looks so stunning and those are my favorite colors. It says it uses paper piecing techniques (the pattern does come with all the foundation paper pieces). I haven't done any paper piecing yet. I was wondering how hard this quilt would be for me? If you have done something like this quilt, can you let me know what you think. I've found the kit somewhere that prices out to be pretty much exactly as it would cost to buy the fabric and the pattern so I am tempted.

Thanks.

why not practice with a little paper piecing tutorial first to see if you like the technique.
    I can do it, but PP drives me a little crazy. Makes me feel dyslexic.

edited to say: It's a beautiful pattern. I would be tempted to piece the center and only use the paper piecing for the flying geese.
    Last edited by DebraK; 05-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I enjoy paper piecing - but like DebraK said, before you spend that much money, why not try some. Watch a tutorial and go get some free patterns off line and make a couple of sample blocks. I hope you like it! Oh and I love the add a quarter ruler, in case your wondering.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I do a lot of paper piecing. I don't think this would be all that hard as it has fairly regular components to paper pice. I would try some easy test blocks first, though, to see if you feel up to the task, and maybe start with a smaller project. Of course you could get the kit, trace a few stars onto your chosen type of paper and make a table runner or such first with a few stars to get the feel of the process. When I paper piece I use freezer paper so there's no tearing off the paper when done.Here's how:
    http://www.twiddletails.com/images/FPFtute/FPFTute.pdf

I have been eyeing that pattern as well. It is so pretty!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I enjoy paper piecing, but I think that rather than paper piecing, you could make the blocks using all HSTs.

that was my thought as well, except for the geese.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

PP is a love/hate relationship: you either love it or hate it. So I agree, before spending $200, try out some pp.

The patterns are LaMoyne Star and Flying Geese. You could try those patterns before spending.

Then it's up to you.

Blog Entries
    the pattern is available and yes, you can do it. just take your time. do some flying geese from scraps and use copies of the foundations for those. you will get the hang of it and be very pleased with the results. Go for it. slow and easy.

Blog Entries
    The hardest part of paper piecing is the star after that it just falls in place.
    Take a deep breath in and have ago.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
    I enjoy paper piecing, but I think that rather than paper piecing, you could make the blocks using all HSTs.
    I was thinking it was all HST's too. And flying geese border. I love how they're offset.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

It looks like 12" and 6" LeMoyne stars. They don't have to be paper pieced, I would do it with the rapid fire template. Ann

I believe that paper piecing is one of those techniques that you either love or hate. I personally love it, but I know many people who hate it. Before I would spend that much money I would do as others have suggested and try something else first, to make sure that you're not going to be one of those that hate paper piecing. It is a beautiful quilt but I would have to think long and hard about spending that much money for a kit, mainly because I'm a tightwad, but also because I want to pick out MY fabrics and the problem is with kits all the quilts made with that kit, are the same, you might as well go to the store and buy a quilt, but after you've tried paper piecing and you have the spare money to get it, then try it.

My first quilt block was a paper pieced block for our guild president's "good bye" quilt. It wasn't bad at all but haven't done any since! That is one BEAUTIFUL quilt!!! Love the colors and the pattern! Good luck and keep us posted!!

Beautiful quilt. I don't think the paper piecing would be required, but it would really help for the corner blocks of flying geese going around the corner. The blocks are all standard blocks and you can find directions to make them in multiple places. Try http://quilterscache.com

Power Poster
    How would one paper-piece a LeMoyne star?

You can do it.
    If you have a problem, your friends on the board will help you!

Blog Entries
    visit the Carol Doak website & print off a few free paper pieced blocks- follow along her tutorials, hints, tips and do some- some of us LOVE paper piecing- other people hate it- only you can decide which person you are. I would try out a few before spending money on a kit. Carol is considered a Queen of Paper Piecing and is a great teacher for anyone wanting to learn the technique- but as with any new technique you need to (get the hang of it) before attacking something big & expensive.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Before you get it, may I suggest looking at Deb Tucker's site, 180designs? She has a Lemoyne star ruler that is wonderful and a quilt that looks very similar to this. I've used the ruler numerous times and get a star that is dead on with points and no paper piecing. Love the colors in the quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    that was my thought as well, except for the geese.
    You can make the geese with HST too.

Hi, this is a beautiful kit and the colors are great. Paper piecing can be a pain in the you know what, but the accuracy of the finished quilt is well worth it. You might want to consider taking a Judy Niemeyer class. Her methods are great, but her patterns were a little complicated for me the first time. Good luck.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You could send an email and see if you could just purchase the pattern. Or check out "Free Quilt Patterns" and see if you find something there.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    You can do it.
    If you have a problem, your friends on the board will help you!
    Twinkie says it all.....good luck and we look forward to your updates. Do a sample block before proceeding...

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    How would one paper-piece a LeMoyne star?
    That's what I've been trying to figure out. It would change my mind about them if could pp them. I've always been reluctant to try them, because of all the Y-seams.

Also, AngelinaMarie - did you notice at the kit does NOT include the backing? If you want it match the quilt, that adds quite a bit to your cost.

I love PP, but I'll admit, it was a trick to learn! For me anyway. But I worked through it and just love it! I cannot explain why I found PP so darn hard when it was so easy for me to pick up FMQ, and I know people really struggle with FMQ. I'm convinced that the ability to learn a specific task easily or hard is hard-wired in our brains! LOL!
    MacThayer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast