Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I binged at a going out of business sale >

I binged at a going out of business sale

I binged at a going out of business sale

Old 07-18-2016, 08:58 PM

I had to look and see where you were, Jane. It didn't quite work that way for me, but close.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:20 AM

Glad someone that can use the products bought them. If a store closes here, they call in a custom sales outfit.
Discounts go out the window, and dealers are encouraged first. By the time the general public gets to the store, most of the good stuff is gone.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 AM

I would love to find templates as you have. What a fantastic savings.....and fun to hunt for!!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I would love to find templates as you have. What a fantastic savings.....and fun to hunt for!!
I really did feel like I'd hit a goldmine. I only wish I'd gotten there when the 70% sale first started. Of course then I might feel even more of the post - binge feeling than I do now.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Even at 70% off the store is making profit. So I'm helping the store, buying items that would be sitting on the shelf taking up space for newer items.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 AM

I stock up at closing stores. Fabric is going up at a rapid pace so I feel my stash is going to be ready and waiting. Since most of my friends are quilters I "shop" for gifts in my sewing room. Duplicate rulers are great for grab bags, gifts and our yearly auction. I can't believe we can have to much fabric. That I won't live long enough to sew it all doesn't matter to me. It is well loved and it beats drugs! My kids know exactly who to call when I go and that room will be emptied to the walls. Lol
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Even at 70% off the store is making profit. So I'm helping the store, buying items that would be sitting on the shelf taking up space for newer items.
They likely aren't making a profit at 70% off. At best, they are breaking even and that's only if they negotiated a huge deal with the manufacturer.

Typical wholesale is 50% of retail. If you buy in bulk, you MIGHT get some break from that.

I noticed that this shop had a ton of Marti Michell products in their shop, so it is possible that they bought in bulk and got a deal, but super doubtful that they paid less than 30% of MSRP.

But having worked in retail I know that you make a big profit on some things and are lucky to break even on others. But you add it all together and hope that the final bottom line is black instead of red.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:41 AM
mac

Think of it as a win/win situation. The store that is closing is trying to make as much money and re-coop their loses as much as possible; you on the other hand, are getting a bargain on things that you may not have been able to afford otherwise. If you bought more than you wanted, then the things you don't need would make great gifts for your other quilter friends (and you still saved money).

Bottom line is, I still tend to go overboard because I know I will never see that bargain again. Oh, well...
Old 07-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I've seen the invoices on fabric and notions the quilt shop here pays. Believe me she is getting a profit even at 75% off.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:34 PM

oh lord i wish i could say i stayed on budget (lol) when i go quilt shopping. last year on our shop hop for the row by row in 5 hours i spent $1000. that is the right amount of 0 believe me. to top it off as a snowbird living in arizona for the winter last year in the 5 months i was there i spent $5000 in fabric and tools. that doesn't take in the classes i took (5). i had to do some creative bookwork at the border when it came to claiming our $1600 limit.