Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Let me start by saying I'm no fabric snob atleast I didn't think so!! But today a beginner quilter asked me what is the best kind of fabric to buy and I replied 100% cotton with a nice tight weave. Then proceeded to show her what I meant. Do you know how much poly/cotton I have but have stopped using?? More than you want to know. And it's all your faults!!! LOL!!

Blog Entries
    oops! Did you do what I do - hit send too quick? :)

ROFLOLPMP

Blog Entries
    Sorry I hit send before I was done.!!

Blog Entries
    Surprisingly enough I have survived our Wal Mart not selling fabric. There are some projects that I'd use their fabrics on & then there was some that I wouldn't. But in the beginning it was great, it held up almost 10 yrs in DS's quilt he used EVERYDAY so I guess I can't complain. I just don't spend as much since they have gotten rid of fabric

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Guilty as charged lol :D

Use up your poly/cotton on a scrape quilt. Or practice on new blocks, or give it to your daughter and tell her to make another quilt. STill lots of ideas to use it for. I know not all my material is all cotton, but that's what I try to use now.

QUIT SNOB!!! ha ha ha

Just curious. Why not use poly/cotton? What happens to the quilt when you use it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kakels
    Just curious. Why not use poly/cotton? What happens to the quilt when you use it?
    Nothing happens. The all cotton fabric is just softer and doesn't seen to have as much stretch as the poly/cotton. Don't get me wrong but I just couldn't believe I said that to her. First off I was shocked when she tapped my shoulder and asked me if I was a quilter and then wanted advice on fabrics. That was first time anyone ever asked me that in wm and then when I said what I said I walked off thinking have I become a cotton snob. I buy 99% of my fab's at wm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Use up your poly/cotton on a scrape quilt. Or practice on new blocks, or give it to your daughter and tell her to make another quilt. STill lots of ideas to use it for. I know not all my material is all cotton, but that's what I try to use now.
    Oh I will use them up because I can't afford to replace them.

being a snob is not a bad thing. LOL Thanks for the answer!

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I think it's ok to be snobby about 100% cotton fabrics. It's what they used before there was polyester!

Well you are right about the fabric, sorry to say our Wally mart does not carry fabric, so I can't even comment on what their fabric is like.

Just a comment: Quilters use what is available. The quilters of Gees Bend used old cloths because that was, in most cases, all they had. Use what you've got. I see that as the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by kakels
    Nothing happens. The all cotton fabric is just softer and doesn't seen to have as much stretch as the poly/cotton. Don't get me wrong but I just couldn't believe I said that to her. First off I was shocked when she tapped my shoulder and asked me if I was a quilter and then wanted advice on fabrics. That was first time anyone ever asked me that in wm and then when I said what I said I walked off thinking have I become a cotton snob. I buy 99% of my fab's at wm.
    I made two quilts about 25 years ago. One was 100% cotton and the other had ply/cotton blend in it. The 100 % cotton looks the same today, just a little faded. The one with poly/cotton -you can see through the poly/cotton after being washed so many times. My son brought the quilt back to me and wanted to know if there was anything I could do about it. For a baby quilt it is fine but for a bed quilt that will be washed and used for years, go for the cotton.

PS
    You gave her good advice. Don't feel bad.

I think a little "snobbery" is a helpful thing for a newbie. I made my first quilt with old (gasp) polyester. Yikes! What an awful looking mess that was.

When you think to give the very best, you did.
    You gave her the BEST ADVICE....No you are NOT a snob. I can't believe that this is the first time that someone has ask you something?????? My DH thinks there is an invisable sign on me that people see.....People are always asking me questions.. I just laugh about it now.......
    OH!! by the way you are the last person on here that would be a snob........Maybe you will luck out now that JoAnn's was purchased,they might come up with a store near you.......

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    Surprisingly enough I have survived our Wal Mart not selling fabric. There are some projects that I'd use their fabrics on & then there was some that I wouldn't. But in the beginning it was great, it held up almost 10 yrs in DS's quilt he used EVERYDAY so I guess I can't complain. I just don't spend as much since they have gotten rid of fabric
    I found that at Joann's you have to check the fabric, too. I saw some that were not top quality, with loose weave, but the price was $8.50. All the fabric that my friends and I have ever ordered from affordable Connecting Threads have all been top quality so far.

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    When you think to give the very best, you did.
    You gave her the BEST ADVICE....No you are NOT a snob. I can't believe that this is the first time that someone has ask you something?????? My DH thinks there is an invisable sign on me that people see.....People are always asking me questions.. I just laugh about it now.......
    OH!! by the way you are the last person on here that would be a snob........Maybe you will luck out now that JoAnn's was purchased,they might come up with a store near you.......
    Hear, hear! Well said, luv-e.

Quilter's cottons are great--they keep moisture off the skin by absorbing it, comfort the cold with thermal warmth, and hug the user with all the quilter's love in the world.

CJOMomma, you gave excellent advice when you said use 100% cotton to a newbie.

:) You QS you :)

Have used other than 100% cotton, works well enough, long as the irons not too hot :(
    Gave her good advise tho, later will come in handy if she tries the stretchy stuff, then thinks about why that is :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks you guys! Now I don't feel so bad. Hopefully I did help her.

I 'm a newbee. Made my 1st quilt using what I thought was a good fabric purchased from Walmart. I thought the material was beautiful. Working on my 2nd quilt using MODA fabric purchased at a quilt shop . Same pattern as 1st quilt, same color family. World of difference in feel of material, seems easier to press and sew without stretching and the colors are a lot brighter. I'm not saying I want purchase Walmart fabric because we have a Walmart here but we do not a LQS but Walmart material will not be my 1st choice.

Blog Entries
    i don't like the feel of poly/cotton. i find it ravels like crazy. if that makes me a snob, so be it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast