Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but... >

I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but...

I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but...

Old 10-22-2010, 03:55 PM

I always use my Rotary cutter. You just have to be extra careful you don't cut your fabric...Using a seam ripper takes way to long...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
Gale, I have the same machine & I find that the 2.2 default setting is too long for me. I reduce it to 2.0 for regular piecing and to 1.8 for paper piecing. Are you holding on too tightly to the front of whatever you are trying to piece? OR is the pressure of the presser foot too high? I have reduced mine to 1-ish, even though the book recommends the 2 - 3 range. I find that is just way too tight.

Good luck on trying to figure out what's going on.
I'm not having a problem with my machine. I'm wondering if people who love this particular seam ripper use a longer stitch length than I do. But apparently you don't rip the stitches out one at a time like normal. I'm not having any problems with my seams (other than the odd mess-up that I need to rip out).
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I have the Gingher seam ripper. I had problems at first. But, I figured the best way for me is to lay my pieces flat on a table and hold the ripper parallel to the seam. I have the ripper pretty much horizontal on the fabric. I hope this makes sense.
Elizabeth
Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Is the ripper in between the two layers of fabric when you do it that way?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Hey !! Im one the Gingher lovers!! Mines great!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 PM

And then there's this clutz who was using a clover ripper on too small stitches and ripped her finger when the ripper went in and out on the other side of my finger. Talk about bleeding! I'll use a different ripper next time!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by carolynjo
And then there's this clutz who was using a clover ripper on too small stitches and ripped her finger when the ripper went in and out on the other side of my finger. Talk about bleeding! I'll use a different ripper next time!
OUCH!!!! :shock:
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by gale
OK where are all the people who loved the Gingher. lol. If it doesn't work out for me I'll return it. It was half price but that still makes it $12.50.
I use the cheapies because I lose way to many seam rippers to spend that kind of money on it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 PM

i use a seam ripper i have had since about 1970 don't even know the brand. but new ones i have don't work near as well as that one! sometimes old can be better!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 PM

I bought the seam ripper but cant find it. I think it fell off my table into the trash. I thought it was hard to hold and slippery so I dont really miss it but hate that I spent so much for it.