Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I bought a treadle!

Banned
    I do not know where the camera is, otherwise I would post this on the picture forum. It is 1926-1928, it has a class 66 bobbin(the exact of my other machine) No manual, but it works pretty good, the table has some damange on top, and on one side has some warping, or cracking, dunno which. It is a great machine! I got it for 125$ and I am happy with it. No attachments. Any ideas how I'd find out the model number, and how to lubricate the base?
    Thanks
    Emily

Congratulations! I have my grandmother's from around 1919. We have a somewhat local guy who works on them.

Try google. I know there are sites out there for treadle owners. I've not visited them, but have read about them. LOL

Fantastic! Now if the power goes out, you can still sew!

What brand it is? Singer serial numbers can be tracked at their website. Others may need to be researched further.

If you can find a patent date, that would help, but patent dates may apply to just one part. It is helpful to know that an object is no older than the latest patent date on it. Can you post a picture of one like it, anda better description? Sounds like it can be restored into a gorgeous piece.

Banned
    It is singer, don't know how I forgot to mention that :oops: I will post pictures when I find the camera, it did a disappering act.

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html at Singer lets you date them by serial number

Ooh I am so jealous! I don't have any extra room for one, but I would LOVE to get my hands on an old treadle machine. I love old things, and think treadles are fabulous.

this is a 1926 singer..my grandmother had electric added

Attached Images Attached Images

I just love old antique machines!!! I am the proud owner of two myself!! I love sewing on my featherweight!! She is such a little workhorse!

Banned
    It looks very similar, I found the camera, so I will be posting this in the Pictures forum in a few hours!
    Thank you

Emily,

I also own a treadle machine. I purchased it at an antique store. I think I only paid $40. If you have any Amish or Menninite communities within a reasonable distance of you they probably have persons who service such machines. I live just south of Hanover PA. There is a machine dealer there who is a Menninite. He actually services treadle machines. I purchased a new belt from him. He even had it in stock.

I doubt if I will ever use it but it is in working order if the need ever arises.

That's on my someday list- to own a treadle sewing machine. I wish I had my Gram's, she taught me to sew on it. Such fond memories!

Was looking at my Dad's last night to see if he might have one of Gram's glass eggs she used inside socks when she darned them. They are gone. Darn! (Literally, haha)

I have an 1891 Singer Treadle machine that has a puzzle box of accessories. They are so neat! Now if I just had more time to use it. :)

Wow. A treadle. How cool is that. Can't wait to see a picture.

Ok, I'm jealous!!
    Congrats on your new machine!!!

Me too..jealous! Envious and all that good stuff:)I have been looking for a bargain for quite awhile here. I had one that was in such sad shape I sold it on a deal to a guy that repairs, etc. This one was someone's plant stand years ago and the wood was ruined! As far as belts, he told me they keep them conditioned using mineral oil and if the belt is too stretched, they remove the staple in it, cut it the right lenght and put it back. I'll find one sooner or later...I want it to use when the electric goes out in an ice storm...:)Skeat

How fun! Mine needs cleaning! It was my grandmother's. She gave it to me when I was in high school. I was the only one that had my project in on time for Home Economics class. We had power outages and no one else could sew :!: It took a little getting used to-working the feet and guiding the fabric. Good for the legs.....I should get it working - save a trip to the gym :!:

:D Emily,
    My mother-in-law, who did professional alterations, has a Singer treadle and uses it more than her other Singer. She has better control for slow stitching especially. It will be great for your piecing. Keep us posted.

judee

Banned
    Here is a link to the pictures :)
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17049.page

Congrats on your new baby!! Can't wait to see pictures.

How wonderful! Let us see what you make with it! :lol:

Love that machine. It looks just like the one my mother had and on which I learned to sew. She started me using it when I was only 7. For some reason, I had a hard time keeping my fingers, mainly my thumb, away from the needle. I ram the needle through my thumb so many times that I learned not to jerk it but to hold still and carefully back the needle out.

You can put it back to Treadle even if it's been electricfied ,I have the motor and Treadle on mine except 1 is only on the Treadle. Very Handy when Power is Out a Long time. Open the curtains and Sew and Quilt!!!

Congratulations!!! I'm blessed to have my Mom's Treadle with attachments. I absolutely love it!!! Not sure what year it was made though, I guess I'll have to do some research.

Congratulations! I had an old treadle machine, with the puzzle box of attachments, when my children were babies, and I was, well, very poor. I made all the curtains for my children's rooms on it, complete with ruffles for the girls. I was able to put the prettiest hem on miles and miles of ruffles in no time at all, because one of the little attachments was a cool hemming foot. My girls were the envy of their friends for those pretty curtains.

I may have to look for another one of those. I sold it when I could afford a better machine, I have now a Pfaff that I bought back in the early 80's. You know, because of those ruffles, I got to where I could so really fast on that treadle machine, and the only thing I missed having was the zigzag.

The other cool thing about it was that the bobbins held more thread, so I didn't have to rewind the bobbin so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast