Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I'm such an idiot!

I've been working on a sampler quilt and I'm now quilting each square with a particular stencil. I trace my pattern on tissue paper and pin it on and stitch then tear it away. Everything was going along well until this morning --

I pinned my pattern on my square - quilted it and tore off the tissue only to realize, I put it on the square upside down!

I'd been debating as to whether or not to give the quilt away because I love the fabric so much. Well, since I'm not inclined to pick out the quilting at the moment, it helped me decide to keep the quilt as a reminder of what a ditz I am! It's probably something only I would really notice anyway!

Banned
    Ha thats your mind making the decision for you.

Further confirmation that I'm a ditz -- it is right, it was just the way I had the top turned that made it looked wrong -- sheesh!!!

Blog Entries
    laughing...I've done things like that. In my own opinion, it makes the quilt a one-of-a-kind. I have one block in my Underground RailRoad that has the geese flying out of the block. I wondered if I should make a new block and replace the messed up one and then I decided no...that makes the quilt special. Everytime I look at that quilt I laugh. I say you should keep it or give it away (whatever makes you happy) and view the upside down quilting design as unique. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
    Further confirmation that I'm a ditz -- it is right, it was just the way I had the top turned that made it looked wrong -- sheesh!!!
    :-P

I had to rip out a partial row of long arming because my machien went crazy and the tension was off badly - I did my best lining up the design again but it wanst perfect - It was a charity quilt well I showed it to the lady who was taking them and she laughed and said first of all I wouldnt have noticed if you hadnt pointed it out and the people who get them will never notice - consider it a design element :-)

Banned
    I've been in both places --- I've stitched a pattern upside down and I've also THOUGHT I stitched it wrong only to pick it out and then discover it was OK. But I wasn't such a mannered lady to say "sheesh". I turned the air blue!

i was told that the easy way to pick out the stitches is to get a mustache trimmer under 20 at walmart and then use that as it will seperate and only cut the threads. i have not tryed this as of yet but am getting one. and giving one for my kid for christams. lol. happy picking. ogama
    i picked out a queen size and it took me 16 hours i know what you mean.

Blog Entries
    I had a "diz" day Saturday. Not one thing went right except I got home safe after driving 200 plus miles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kapatt
    :-P
    You are not! ;-)

Blog Entries
    Maybe you just need a morning cup of coffee. :)

I had 30 blocks sewn together and pined on my wall, spent 3 days looking at it, it just didn't look right! even sat down with my sketch and checked each piece, it just looked wromg! My 8 yr old GD came over and found the problem right off! Gramie why is your quilt upside down? LOL

Well it is good to sometimes walk away for a change of scene and then go back to look at your work.

Blog Entries
    Funny! I have done the same thing. I made other blocks in the quilt with the same mistake and it looked like I planned it that way. it won a blue ribbon at the fair a few years ago.

If anyone notices, tell them the wrong block gives the quilt character and smile.

Carol J.

That is what makes each quilt unique.

I know there are many similar stories to your out 'there/here'.

Mine was being in a quilting group where 2 of the ladies laid out the squares on 3 large tables put together for this reason. When they finished one of them said that they had laid it out wrong! They had started at the wrong side. [?] They laughed when I said all they had to do was go to another side of t he tables and they would see it was laid out correctly after. [Remember I used to teach math and am visually oriented.] I took a picture of the quilt. They laughed some more, picked up their squares and did the whole thing over. The finished quilt layout was still the same as my first picture.

Go figure.

ali

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the chuckle...I have done things like that...my quilt group gals actually have told me that they loved when I joined up, as I would always share my "duh" moments...they said they all had them, too..just never really told each other!! Well, now we all share with each other. I totally agree with the old saying "laughter is good for the soul.."
    Kif
    PS With my profession, when I am working with someone, it is often "mirroring", meaning I am using my left arm as we work with their right one...so, when I am laying out a quilt that can really get me going... :shock:

I have been told that those blocks are called humility blocks. I usually always have one or more in a quilt - hehehe

Years ago when I was into smocking and making a dress for my niece I smocked the entire thing on the wrong side. It was a white on white with a pink monogram in the front. I did not realize my error till I was all done and noticed that the french seams were on the outside instead of the inside. I did rip all the stitches out and start over - grrrrrrr.

Blog Entries
    You are in great company!

Blog Entries
    take 3 fat quarters and call us in the morning LOL

Was this your way to helping you decide to keep this one for yourself?

I just love using the "It was designed like that" reason for things being what they are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alfosa421
    take 3 fat quarters and call us in the morning LOL
    Love this advice!

I've said this before. My Granny said a quilt is supposed to have one mistake. She said some women even turned a block the wrong way to assure a mistake. Grandma didn't go along with that idea, but probably didn't go to great lengths to correct an honest mistake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast