Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't use a rotary cutter

I really recommend the June Taylor Shape Cut. It has made a world of difference to me. I used to be afraid to cut, and I am not afraid anymore.

Power Poster
    My LQS has a new rotary cutter and ruler set in. The rotary cutter is at an ergonomic angle and it rides along a little rail on the ruler edge. If I didn't have so much invested in other rulers, I would get it. Looks like it would be SOOO much easier to cut with. Maybe you can find one like it where you are?

I know a little of what you are talking about. I have no problem cutting even strips with my regular rotary cutter, but whenever I put my pinking blade on, it takes much more effort to keep my cutter right next to my ruler. My pinking blade seems to have a mind of it's own.

It would take longer, but how about trying with clamps on the rule - so that nothing shifts?

Blog Entries
    My Mom told me that to keep the lines straight against the ruler when you cut with a rotary cutter, you put your blade next to the ruler and then slant it just a bit, so you are more or less pushing the blade against the edge of the ruler. That keeps the blade in place and insures a nice straight cut. Edie

PS - Moms know best you know!!!!

Vat
    I , too , am left-handed and the best rotary cutter is the Martelli, they are out of Florida and I find with it I have much more control. Very easy to use, been using theym for several years now and love them.

Blog Entries
    I'm right handed and I used to have problems cutting with my rotary cutter. I decided that being nervous about cutting and wasting fabric was one reason. I would get shaky everytime I would make a cut. So I decided that I would slow down, breathe and forget about being afraid things wouldn't turn out perfectly. I have also discovered that not all new rotary blades are made with smooth edges. Some I have bought make jagged cuts almost chopping the fabric while other blades cut smoothly. I always buy Olfa and Fiskars.

I hope you figure out a way to cut your fabric. I recently purchased a June Tailor Shape Cutter on the advice of another quilter here and it has made a big improvement. Good luck. :)

Blog Entries
    I've only been quilting for about a year and I'm right handed but for about 6-9 months my cuts were horrible, I was ready to quit. Then like riding a bike the more you practice the better you get at it.

Blog Entries
    Hi maybe something like this will help you cut your strips. Good Luck I also had trouble when i first started to quilt. Don't give :)
    It's the June Taylor Shape Cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETsJf2nNQE

Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I don't know if it is the same kind of problem as "I can't draw a straight line using a ruler"....and I swear, I really can't, or just because I am left handed, but I cannot cut with the rotary cutter. I am messing up fabric, and I have been practicing on scraps, too. I use my clear plastic ruler, my heavy duty wooden ruler, try religiously to follow the lines in my cutting mat...all useless. I really need to be able to cut straight with it, and not look like I was on a roaring drunk before I picked it up.

I hate to have to take my fabric to the LQS and ask them to cut strips for the quilt I am trying to make for my cousin. Not that I won't if I have to, mind you, because I really love that cousin, but I need to be able to do it myself. HELP!!!

I have a lot of problems with my hands. I was left handed but had to teach myself to cut using my right hand. I always had trouble trying to use a rotary cutter. It does take practice. I have found that this rotary cutter works best for me. It is shaped different but, I find it easy to use.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...aryCutter.html

I bought a shape cutter so I can cut straight better. I said I would never get one. However the older I get the weaker my hands seem to get so, I decided to buy one and let the machine do it for me. I got the larger cutter so, I don't have to hold the machine while I turn the handle. The weight of the cutter makes it stationary.

I stopped drinking when I am cutting. It helps a lot :P

I had trouble at first with my ruler moving during the cut. I discovered that I was leaning the cutter blade into the ruler. Be sure you are keeping the blade straight. And yes, get some grippers to hold ruler in place.

do you use little sandpaper dots on the bottom of your ruler to keep it from slipping?

do you use little sandpaper dots on the bottom of your ruler to keep it from slipping?

I'm a lefty and have no problem using a rotary cutter.
    If your ruler is moving when you cut, they make little sand paper disks to put under your ruler so it doesn't shift.
    Maybe your table is too high and you can't get the leverage you need. Try cutting on a lower table. Are you using a 24 inch ruler? Cut only 5/6 inches at a time, move your hand up the ruler where you will need to cut, cut another 6 inch section, moving your hand up to the area you are cutting helps you keep pressure on the ruler where you are cutting, this helps keep the ruler from shifting.

If I am reading this right you are only using a regular ruler? If you are that might be making it a lot harder. I almost away use a large cutting mat that has the slots in between it.You just line up the fabric then put the rotary cutter in the slot and cut. When you are using a small mat or a ruler it's harder to get a good grip with your other hand to hold the fabric in place. (Make sure your hand isn't too close to the blade of course). I am left handed also and I do think it makes it a little harder. I am especially hard on the blades because I basically have little coordintation.

Do you happen to have 2 blades on your cutter? Sometimes those are stuck together pretty well when taking them out of the package and it looks like only one when there are actually more. That would throw you off. Just a thought....

I am left handed, have the Gingher left handed roatary cutter, have the gypsy gripper on my ruller and still cut wonky.
    and no I can not cut right handed at all.
    It is so frustrating.
    Best of luck to you figuring this out.

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    I am left handed. I have some problems with cutting. I've gotten better since I watched a tutoial and noticed I wasn't resting my little finger on the mat for stability.

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    The one holding the ruler.

I didnt read the entire post but just wanted to say that unless I am directly over the top of what Im rotary cutting, the whole thing gets "slide-y" on me and I cant cut straight. (I cant cut from an angle). AND I apply a good amount of pressure.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried switching hands, I am left handed but I cut with my right hand. Kim

Blog Entries
    I had similar problems and finally invested in several of the June Taylor slotted rulers. I have less slippage of the ruler and better conrol of the rotary cutter because it fits in a slot so it has a sort of a track to roll in. There is also more ruler area to lay your other hand flat for holding the ruler. I have lost far less fabrice due to slippage since buying them. The largest one (23" wide) that cuts single-folded fabric is $69.99 on June Taylor's website is $65.99 on JoAnns -- but with a 50% off coupon is less than $33.00 and is shipped in a big flat cardboard container which is great for storage. This one purchase has made cutting strips so much easier and my strips are right on. These are great tools for those of us that are rotary cutter challenged. I am very short and I cannot reach across the table when cutting without moving my supporting hand and that is when the ruler moves on me or I was getting "V's" in the middle of my strips making them virtually useless, unless I was cutting them into squares.

The June Tailor strip cutter is what you need to use. It's quck, easy to learn how to do, and accurate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast