Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM

Wondering if a steamer would help to straigten it out some...or would it shrink it more? I feel bad for you!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 AM

If it is impossible to salvage the quilt, maybe a coupon for a new quilt in a card? You could explain what happened. Your experience tells us that we should NEVER buy batting unpackaged without the content listed. So sorry that it happened to you. Go ahead and cry; it is very therapeutic. You will feel better afterwards.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM

I so get it!!! I worked hard on a Wizard of Oz quilt for my daughter and unknowingly used a wool batting. I washed it and just tossed it in the dryer for a short time. It was awful! Not only was it terribly misshapen it was fuzzy. When I showed it to her she said, "Whats wrong with it?" I finally had to remove it from her bed because she woke up every morning looking like she has a cat shedding all over her in the night. She still loves it and doesn't get what my problem is.......
I hope you work it out and you are able to give it with the love in which you made it....
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 AM

deema,

Thanks for posting the before and after photos. That is one beautiful quilt, and I'm talking about the after photos. I see that the edges are a bit wavy -- that's how I like my quilts to look. I understand that you are upset at the changes in the washing process, but I love the result.

I've read all of the posts in this thread, and some smart quilters have made great suggestions. Personally, I think all this quilt needs is a big box and a bow. Followed by the squeals of delight from your MIL.

Let us know how this turns out. Thanks for sharing your story because we can all learn from each other's experiences.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 AM

You made a wonderful quilt with lots of love in it! Your MIL will love it b/c YOU made it esp. FOR HER and b/c it's beautiful. Enough said! Please stop worrying, ok?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Lyn

1. It looks cozy. I see nothing wrong an ironing wouldn't help.
2. It would have happened if she had washed it so now she won't know
3. Some of mine look like that and I don't care because I have looked at the quilts my grandmothers made and they do the same thing and my grandmothers were much better quilters than me.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 AM

I think the pics look fine, this quilt is a keeper! If you think it's too wrinkled try the gentle cycle, cold water, I even use some Downy, then I dry mine on low in the dryer. It should come out smoother that way. Now to be honest, some people like that wrinkly, older look, washing gives a quilt, when it's finished & washed, so be aware of that too. Honestly though, I think your quilt looks great, so calm down, okay! Hugs!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 AM

The quilt looks okay to me. Beats me why people think they have to wash a quilt once it is done, if it is not soiled it don't need washing. Same goes for after they have been used. Some wash a quilt every year, used or not used and kill them. I have been handed quilts to repair that were washed to death and they wonder why.
A batt with cotton and polyester in it will not shrink, so I agree with the other person who said it must have been wool, which in reality is softer than cotton/poly and also comes in different weights. Give her the quilt and if she doesn't like the appearance use it yourself and tell her you will make another.
We don't make mistakes, we have learning experiences.
I never put a quilt in the clothes dryer, you don't know how the fabrics will respond to all that heat either.
To test yarn or a batting, take a small amount and put it in a pie plate or dish, light it, if it is consumed it has polyester in it, if the fire goes out, it is wool.

Carol J.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 AM

I think it's very pretty and I love the colors, she will like it.....and if she doesn't sew she'll not notice.
My brother tells me "who will notice" and I say "ME"
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 AM

I prewash ALL my fabric, the same way I gently wash & dry my quilts later, so have never had a problem drying them, & I have no place large enough, inside, to let a quilt air dry entirely, so have no real choice otherwise. I do agree, some people wash a quilt to death. Mine, on our bed, only gets a gentle wash, if hubby says it smells, as he has a super fine sense of smell (drives me crazy at times!), otherwise, it might get a little spot wash now & then,if needed. I don't wash a quilt when I finish it either, as all, except small charm pack quilts, have been washed first, so why wash it again, right... This method works for me & I have never had any problems in doing so....