Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM

It doesn't look bad really. I would wash it againwith cold water on a gentle cycle and dry it flat on the floor somewhere...pat it out and stretch it into shape....some people like this look, it makes it look cozy and I know a friends who does this on purpose.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM

It is so pretty. Maybe just press it really good or maybe wet it and then lay it flat to dry. I'm just a beginner so what do I know? I really do like it though. After drying it flat, I think I'd take it to a cleaners and have it PRESSED REALLY GOOD!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM

I don't think it looks that bad - the other thing you may want to try - is ironing it. Sometime when you it may flatten out the batting a little bit. Good luck - let us know what you do.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I say iron the dickens outta it!!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by laceybritt
Woah!! Right when I posted the pic came up. Honestly, I can see the difference, but it does not look that bad. She does not know what it looked like before it was washed.
I agree that it prob not as bad to others as you because you know what it looked like before.
It looks cosy and I love the fabrics you used.
IMO she will love it.
I agree! It's really pretty, and I can't see much difference at all between before and after.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 PM

It still looks great. Tell her it is loved already!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM

I agree with scrapykate, iron it. I'v had some that looked that way after first washing. I ironed it and it looked fine. It had a bit of texture, but that was due to the close quilting I had done, and I love the feel of the texture.

Please try ironing it. I am sure it will be fine. It's gorgeous!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Press the hell out of it!!! (sorry for the language) But i personally don't think it looks that bad. Many do the same thing to get the softness of it. I bet it will be just fine!!! Jan
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by deema
I FINALLY finished my MIL's Christmas gift quilt...with just two weeks to spare, because we're celebrating early. I finished hiding all of my loose threads last night and threw it in the wash...I took it out today and it's shrunk and distorted and puckered and I am so sad. I pre-washed all of my fabric (front and back)...I think the batting is what shrunk (it is a cotton/poly blend but I don't know the ratio because I bought it second hand without packaging or anything)...It looks awful. I feel awful. I can't give this as a gift to somebody...it's terrible! I'm so sad. It's shrunk AT LEAST four inches!!!

:cry:

Now what am I supposed to to about MIL's Christmas gift?!? AHHHHHH
Deema, my heart goes out to you...all that effort, time and love and now this. I guess you could give her a promisory note for a new one, show her this one or give her a picture, tell her what happened and go from there. I can't see any way around getting it back to the original shape, so just donate it or keep it as a learning lesson. Don't cry; it will be ok. Try to make a joke out of the whole situation, even write her a funny note about it as part of her Christmas gift (she will never forget that) and, as much as it hurts for all the reasons it hurts, try to peacefully move on. I am so sorry!! I think all of us would be equally devastated.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Here are pics...Gah. It doesn't look NEARLY as bad in the pics as it does in person...
Oh my, I didn't see the picture before I wrote that last note. It's beautiful...........that is the look I love. She will be thrilled to no end.